I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Missing expo but could use opinion on rod wrapper
Posted by: Dave Morton (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2016 08:09PM

Just found out due to a family medical emergency I won't be able to attend the expo. I was hoping to check out rod wrapper options there before buying one. I have one on line I'm considering buying would like an opinion but the rules won't allow me to list the site. Anyway to get some input without breaking forum rules.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 08:39PM by Dave Morton.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing expo but could use opinion on rod wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2016 08:21PM

No links to any @#$%& sites, please.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2016 08:33PM

Dave

It would help if we knew what functions in addition to wrapping, if any, you desire, what types of rods you build, if you into thread art, etc. If you have a wrapper now, what manufacturer, and what do you like and dislike? And of course price point.

Date: February 19, 2016 08:49PM

I'm looking first to simply repair the guides and wraps on the rods I already have. I built maybe a dozen or so rods back in the early 80's and did some decorative wraps and weaves. I guess right now I'm just looking for a manual wrapper that will allow me to do some creative stuff without breaking the bank. I will also need a dryer as well. I'm hoping to keep it under $100 for now. There are several out there just hoping to avoid buying something I might regret later. I am starting again from scratch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 08:56PM by Dave Morton.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2016 10:19PM

Dave

I used a Pac Bay manual wrapper long ago. It is simple, stored easily, and about $40 bucks today. But I primarily build fly rods and don't do weaves and other neat, complex thread art, so I truly do not know if the Pac Bay would be suitable or not. I suspect it will, but, again, no hands on experience beyond simple trims an inlaid turns.

A dryer is in the $60 to $80 range. The feature you will most probably want, and they are really neat, is a dryer with a slip clutch, which permits you to apply finish while the rod is turning and to stop the rotation by simply grabbing the rod with your off hand.

You can get home on a hand wrapper and dryer for really close to $100.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 20, 2016 02:13AM

If your handy just build one, That way you get what you want like the height and lenght, Here's a google search for pre-made and homemade rod wrappers just click on photo for more information, [www.google.com] Amazon has T-Track, knobs, 120 volt low rpm motors for dryers here's a chuck [www.mudhole.com] and here's a motor [www.amazon.com] [www.rodbuilding.org] most of this equipment is easy to put together. If I did have to buy one I really like the Sully rod wrapper. Jaa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 09:06AM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2016 11:46PM

Lots of driers made from microwave oven carousel motors and rotisserie motors from old grills. A pair of short v-blocks that are just tall enough to clear your guides when rotated helps you apply finish smoothly. Puts your hand in a more normal position improving your anatomic comfort and stability. The Sully wrapper is a neat machine, I have an Angler's Workshop hand wrapper, I bought way back when, made out of oak and finished with quality stuff. It's built rods of all sizes and shapes. When it came time to get a power wrapper I bought the Angler's Workshop CPW, quality parts again, and built light and compact enough to survive transport throughout my career in the Coast Guard, retired in '91 and it's still going strong with very little maintenance over the years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 10:31AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: February 21, 2016 03:54PM

I had hoped and planned to see things first hand at the expo and ask a lot of question before purchasing anything. Thank you for the input it' all been helpful.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2016 05:10PM

Dave Here is something to consider. There is one wrapper that has an expandable solution. Mud Hole has the CRB hand wrapper which a buddy of mine bought and I think it is , for the money, a very nice product. The best part about it is as you want to expand you can put it on rollers on an extruded aluminum 8ft base. Then you can add the same motor as on the Pac Bay, AT and ALPS and make it a power wrapper. it has the ability to add more stands and even a dryer. Everything is interchangeable. This is IMHO the most thought out wrapper for the money out there.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2016 05:10PM

Dave Here is something to consider. There is one wrapper that has an expandable solution. Mud Hole has the RBS hand wrapper which a buddy of mine bought and I think it is , for the money, a very nice product. The best part about it is as you want to expand you can put it on rollers on an extruded aluminum 8ft base. Then you can add the same motor as on the Pac Bay, AT and ALPS and make it a power wrapper. it has the ability to add more stands and even a dryer. Everything is interchangeable. This is IMHO the most thought out wrapper for the money out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 05:13PM by Tom Wewerka.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster