I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stress test before guide placement with guide placement glue
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 12:56PM

Just how does one adjust the guide's on a Rod if guide placement glue is used and the guides are glued in place.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stress test before guide placement with guide placement glue
Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 02:43PM

Glenn,

What type of rod are you building? Casting, Spinning, or Fly?

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 03:17PM

Casting rod and the guides need to be constantly adjusted in a stress test.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 03:36PM

The reason I asked is because I've tried about every method of securing the guides on a casting blank, but the problem is when you put it under load the guides want to twist around the rod. I've been using small cable ties. 3 or 4 inches long by 2mm. You can get a 1000 pack pretty cheap. you can move them a little also. If you're going to glue them then you'll have to break them free and reposition. It's time consuming either way. I'm sure someone else may have a better idea, but this is how I've been doing it. Thanks!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 04:01PM

You use TWO lines One to hold the blank in a stress position And ANOTHER though the guides with a little weight on to keep it slightly tight Not Too Tight

Sounds like you are using one line and putting pressure on the guides

Try The search with Static Testing a rod All dates
here
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.sub-70-209-132.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 04:18PM

Exactly I tie one line from the tip to a weighted item and then use a casting plug or bullet weight to keep the second line just tight enough to track the line flow in the guides

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 04:50PM

Several things come to mind
Guides are a high type Guides on top of a blank always tend to want to go Down Having the ring as close to the blank may help
Weight is too heavy Try a lighter weight You don't need much
Also
This is why many use a Spiral Wrapped rod No twist on the blank Runners are at the bottom or the 180 on the rod as a spinning rod

If some one has any ideas Chime in

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 06:39PM

If your guides are trying to twist around the blank when stress testing?
Then you are not doing something correct. Listen to Bill and Jay

This link should help you understand the concept
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 08:41PM

Use elastic sewing thread to secure your guides. Take six or seven tight turns around each guide foot and tie a square knot with the ends. This will hold your guides firmly in place but will still allow you to move them little by little using inchworm-like slides and pushes. When you have found and marked ideal guide locations just touch the thread with a razor blade and it will "jump" off the blank leaving no residue. You by this thread at any sewing supplies store.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2016 01:22AM

I used the elastic sewing thread that Phil mentioned and it is great for positioning guides. Definitely a niffty little tip I picked up as a result of being a member of this site.

As for the guides moving under static load testing ........ what Bill, Jay, and Steve said. Two lines, not one. And I'd suggest a highly visible line for the line running through the guides. It makes the process much easier. At least it does for me.

I also use a highly visible line when doing the final tweaking of the guides just prior to putting finish on the wraps. Personally I use 50# bright yellow braid that I snatched from a spool my dad had.

It works great for seeing if any of your guides are off center of the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster