I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR Concept Build on a Spinning Rod for Dad
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 17, 2016 10:52AM

Hey guys, my father is pushing me to build him a spinning rod he can use for pitching plastics in the grass (he hates his bait casting setups, he's old school and more comfortable with spinning reels).

This being said I am planning to build on a Batson Revelation 72MH spinning blank, and he will be using a Johnny Morris Signature Series 40 reel (which kinda seems like a size 30 to me). Mainly he will be using 20-30# SX1 Sunline braid.

My questions are these, based on the above info:

1. On a spinning rod of this length how far should I position the reel stem from the butt (was thinking 12")

2. Planning to use the KR Concept from Fuji, and was thinking the following, and wanted your opinions:

20H, 10H and 6L for the reduction train

3. What size guide (KB) for the choke?

4. What size (KT) guides should I run to the tip and how many?

Have the basic concepts of this guide style, just wanted to get some input before I move forward. Have been using Microwave guides for awhile now, but he is not a fan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR Concept Build on a Spinning Rod for Dad
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:17PM

Handle length should be up to your father, but 12" to the reel handle stem is within a reasonable range for a rod of this length. The KR reduction train guides you have listed will work great. However, I would use a 5.5 M instead of the 6 L. From there I would use 2-3 size 4.5 KBs and then 4.5 KTs as the remaining runners. I should mention that both size 5 and size 4 runners will also work; personal taste comes into play here, and for my rods I like size 4.5 I have built a bunch of rods with KR guides and they all perform extremely well. Be sure to check out the KR GPS at Angler Resources. Your father should love this rod. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 17, 2016 03:29PM

Awesome information, do you think the size 5.0 would be better suited in the KB/KT's with the larger braid... Always concerned about braid with leader knots and smaller rings.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 06:20PM

I use 15-30 # test braid with a floro leader (up to 25#) connected by an FG knot and have no problems with the 4.5 size guides. It's not so much the size of the braid but rather the size of the leader used. The heaver the leader the larger the knot. The FG knot gives you one of the slimmest if not the slimmest leader knot available. However, it needs to be tied properly. If you feel uncomfortable with this then go ahead and use the size 5 for your peace of mind. Function will not be compromised by doing so. I have had customers who like the 5s, others like the 4s, and still others like the 4.5s. As I mentioned above, it comes down to personal taste and possibly eye sight.
Norm

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 06:17AM

If your father already has a similar spinning rod I would measure the distance from the reel stem to bottom and he won't notice nuttin. If he likes working a lure with his rod perpendicular to the ground then measure from middle of palm to about two inches short of his bent elbow.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.sub-70-209-132.myvzw.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 04:15PM

Thanks guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster