I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserver
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 16, 2016 01:08PM

Does color preserver reduce the strength of thread wraps by soaking into the thread and preventing the epoxy from soaking in through the thread? I put a bright bronzy brown thread on each of the ferruls and added a bright green band over the top and it looks very good but when I applied epoxy on a test wrap the brown went almost black and the green darkened so that neither color looked good. I know color fast thread is sold but does color fast mean that the thread holds its color even when epoxy is applied. Fuji has polyester thread and do they hold color after th epoxy is applied?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserver
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2016 01:28PM

Wraps coated with CP are many times over strong enough to bind guides to a rod blank, even on heavy duty offshore rods intended for harsh use.

NCP and similar color fast threads do not require CP in order to hold their color. Regular nylon will turn somewhat transparent if you apply epoxy without using CP first.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 02:33PM

If you wanted to hold most of the colors, you needed to apply Color Preserver before the epoxy.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.zalmos.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 02:56PM

Do what you need to do to get the colors you desire and don't worry about wrap strength. It will be fine no matter what. Nylon is brighter and sparkly and NCP is more flat.

Posted by: Carlos Page (---.20.137.20.dyn-e120.pool.hargray.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 03:49PM

You will need color preserver to mount your feather inlays as well as solidifying your thread colors. Plenty of feathers last year at the expo/ show at the Vintage Tackle booth. Ask for Ken. He has written instructions for mounting the feathers and what kind of CP is best for use.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2016 06:03PM

Robert

Even color fast / NCP (No Color Preserver needed) nylon and poly will hue shift just a bit, usually shifting to a richer / deeper / darker hue. The only way to know how much hue shift will occur is to make a test wrap.

And yes, the Fuji ploy thread is available in NCP.

Date: February 19, 2016 02:49PM

I went to a fabric store and found some polyurethane called Dura Clear varnish. It is white at first but dries clear. It did darken the thread but only by a shade or two, actually closer to 2 shades but that was quite evident and not almost black. That is Dura Clear by Americana. Until I happen to find something better this varnish will do.

Date: February 19, 2016 05:06PM

i forgot to mention that I thinned some elmers glue with water and tried that(shot in the dark) and it seemed only darken the thread the same as the poly. I applied epoxy to and color stayed the same when treated first with the poly and glue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster