I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Low-reel vs. High-reel Configuration for Surf Rods
Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.252.235.68.dsl.brvdnc.dynamic.citcom.Net)
Date: January 24, 2016 11:11PM

I see a lot of long-distance casting surf anglers using low-reel configurations (where you control a conventional reel with your left hand down towards the butt of the rod). Granted, these are mostly tournament casters on Youtube.

Has anyone here ever caught a Bull Red or big Striper on, say, a 12'-15' rod with a conventional reel that didn't have a level-wind? Did the lack of leverage present a problem, seeing that both hands are only holding onto the bottom 14" of a huge rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Low-reel vs. High-reel Configuration for Surf Rods
Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: January 24, 2016 11:53PM

using coasters, you can cast with the reel in the low position and then move it higher for fishing and hopefully catching. never tried to catch anything with the reel down low and usually only really need long distance casting when the pompano are further off the shore.

Posted by: Rob Warren (---.east.telkomsa.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 03:21AM

Hey Matt
Most of the rods I build are in this range of 12 /15 ft for surf casting.Level-winds for us are definitively a no go as they restrict casting distance.Also this opens a discussion on what I think of as the MoM dimensions. Measure of the Man.I measure each one of my customers as to the correct reel position for them and most end up in the low position ie between 220mm and 300mm from the rod base(taken from the rod base to centre of spool)The measurements are taken as follows
a)The fisherman must wear his own choice of `bucket~ around his waist and then hold the rod with both arms bent at 90deg one hand on the rod(usually left hand for right handed fisherman)the other hand on the handle of the multiplier. Slide the loose fitting reel seat up or down until 90deg angle is achieved for both arms. This creates a comfort position for the fisherman and also keeps maximum power trigger in his arms for striking purposes
b)The reel type is important here A good benchmark out here in South Africa Are the Diawa SL range.The reason for needing the the reel type is to be able to measure from the top of the spool( when filled with the line of his choice) to the top ie guide side of the blank.This assists with the position and size of the stripping guide when a formula of 21 Times reel spool height gives a position for the stripping guide.I try to use a guide size here that is close to the rod diameter.
c)Casting hold. Whilst the fisherman is holding the rod get him to place his reel side hand in casting position and then extend the other arm to his normal trigger position for casting This will give a measurement for the foregrip I normally add 50mm here to allow for various casting methods ie overhead, Swing or another one perfected here called the Sezala swing.
Applying these measurements to the build allows the rod to be a bit more `custom~ for the client and in 80% of the cases has improved their casting distance by 10/15%
Hope this helps
Rob

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 12:05PM

I have seen people use a Butt extension for low mount while Surf Fishing

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 26, 2016 01:54PM

Hi Barry,

The butt extension you are referring to was originally called a reducer. Since the older blanks were much larger in diameter, it was difficult to grasp around the handle when casting in the low reel position. Since blanks are now smaller in diameter, the reducer is no longer needed and the reel is moved 8 to 10 inches up the blank to provide a better grip. The butt extension is used when retrieving line. However, many still call them reducers.

Casting distance is mainly linked to the strength, size, and skill level of the caster. Several years ago, I attended a casting tournament in Texas. There were 3 events consisting of using 125, 150, and 200 gram weights. Two guys were casting high reel, while all the others were casting low reel. One of the guys casting high reel won the 125 & 150 gram competitions. The other guy casting high reel, won the 200 gram competition.

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster