I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Time to build a basic rod
Posted by: Ken Strahan (172.58.104.---)
Date: January 20, 2016 10:11AM

About how long on average to build a rod hours wise...No fancy thread work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time to build a basic rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: January 20, 2016 10:32AM

Surf, steelhead, bass, inshore, blue water, ultralite? Spinning, conventional, center pin, fly?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2016 11:03AM

Depends on your level of expertise. I expect I could do it in a morning, excluding the set and cure time for the epoxy. On my first attempt many years ago, it probably took a couple days.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 20, 2016 11:32AM

Depends on the rod-building equipment you are using also.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.sub-70-197-206.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2016 11:50AM

It also depends on how hard you go at it. If you are leisurely and don't press, it can take a day easily. If you keep your nose to the grind it can be done in a few hours...

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2016 11:51AM

Ken,

I am more concerned with quality than speed, (quite trying to figure an hourly rate a long time ago). It normally takes me two days allowing for epoxy drying time. On the third day the rod is ready to be picked up.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: January 20, 2016 12:25PM

You never want to base your rod building labor rates on an hourly rate - if you do then you'll make less and less money as your skills and equipment improve. Base the price on the job itself. There are various formulas for doing this and there has been a great deal of discussion here on this forum about it. Do a search under something like, "pricing custom rods" and see what turns up.

Posted by: Ken Strahan (172.58.104.---)
Date: January 20, 2016 01:02PM

These are for me and my fatherless boys only not selling any
Bass,Sandbass,Catfish/Carp rods 6-7ft split grip
Will be buying the best complete rod building kit Mudhole.com sells

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 01:04PM by Ken Strahan.

Date: January 20, 2016 02:47PM

Then pricing is not an issue. Just figure a couple days per rod, or perhaps every evening for a week per rod, and enjoy the hobby. Each subsequent rod will be better than the previous one as get more proficient at the various tasks involved.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2016 03:43PM

Ken,
For a simple rod, I figure 2 hours. That is after building many many rods.

But I normally build my rods in a production line style. I will select a batch of rods to make. Prep the grips. Glue all of the grips and reel seats in place. Mark the guide locations on all of the rod. Tape all of the guides on the rods.
Wrap all of the guides. Coat and dry all of the rods. Box all of the rods. Ship all of the rods.

It is just a lot more efficient to do the same task at the same time on a batch of rods, rather than taking a single rod from start to finish.

Be safe

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 20, 2016 08:10PM

If you're going to be building rods with a bunch of kids, I'd advise you to build one on your own first. That will give you an idea how long it will take. If you're planning to do the first one in one morning, pack a lunch.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2016 08:29PM

Lynn,
X10 on your comments.

If you were going to have kids building rods, I would figure at least a week - likely 3-4 hours each day

Be safe

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2016 08:58AM

LOL Lynn ...... a lunch and have a pizza parlor on speed dial just in case you go into dinner time.

I wouldn't set an expected time. IMO, doing so will lessen the enjoyment of learning the art of rod building. As Tom said, enjoy the hobby.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: January 21, 2016 09:55AM

During the St. Croix gathering this year, my wife built her first rod in 8 hours, not including epoxy.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: John Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 03:59PM

Do these time estimates include slicing,glueing and shaping a cork handle. drilling out the cork. setting up reel seat and final fitting ?
I bet I had 20 hours on my last rod which was a 2 pc. salmon rod. this was probably my 20th build. I guess I'm slow but I enjoy every second!
Will be at show with my brothers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster