I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat
Posted by: Jim Alberts (50.153.105.---)
Date: January 19, 2016 03:21PM

How many ounces/cc's do you need of Flex Coat Lite to do one rod? Rod in qustion is 8 ft, 2 piece, 9-10 guides plus hook keeper and ferule?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2016 03:24PM

Not much, but you'd want to measure and mix 3ccs of each minimum to ensure the best accuracy and margin for error.

Date: January 19, 2016 03:39PM

I forgot to mention Im using single foot guides and I do know how to spell ferrule- good speller just a poor typist

Date: January 19, 2016 03:40PM

A total mix of 6cc's will do those with room to spare.

Date: January 19, 2016 08:46PM

Thanks Tom

Date: January 19, 2016 08:46PM

Thanks Tom

Date: January 20, 2016 07:38AM

So if Im understanding and reading this correctly purchasing one "unit" of Flex Coat would be enough to do one rod easily, that is assuming at least 2 coats. How long is the pot life on Flex Coat? Long enough to do the whole rod with one batch? Thank you

Date: January 20, 2016 08:02AM

You're coating the guides, not the blank. I mention this just in case.

Even a small 4 ounce kit of epoxy is enough to coat the guides on many rods. The pot life will depend on the temperature where you're working, but generally will be about 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to coat each guide.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-210-177.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2016 08:03AM

Hi Jim,

You shouldn't have any problem covering the guide wraps, hook keeper wrap, a label, and a small decorative wrap, before the flex coat starts to thicken, provided your finishing room isn't too warm (over 77° or so...I'm sure others will post their thoughts).

And, you should be able to do multiple rods with the smallest kit , 2oz, that Flex coat sells.

Take care,

Chris

Date: January 20, 2016 08:37AM

Thank you very much

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2016 08:56AM

Jim

A word of caution. Applying epoxy finish at a pace beyond your comfort zone and ability to control the process to avoid finish waste is a false economy. If your pace applying finish is more deliberate than fast, there is no dishonor mixing a second batch to finish each coat. Even so, a 2 oz kit should be sufficient.

Posted by: Jim Alberts (70.158.100.---)
Date: January 20, 2016 02:00PM

Thank you, I am a go slow tpe of guy so Im sure I will make a couple batches before Im done. You have been very patient and generous with advice so I am going to risk asking one more question before I get tuned out, besides Im sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting for a connection so I have no where to go. My question is about guides not flex coat so Im not sure if I have to start a new thread and if so make sure you tell me. I am going to use a St Croix blank in a 4 wt, the St Croix web site shows #12 stripper guide but when I go to rod building retailers (Mudhole, Janns, etc ) they show a #10 stripper for 4 wt rods. I would prefer a smaller stripper but also I have to believe St Coix knows what works best with their blanks. Any advice? Thank you again.

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (172.242.185.---)
Date: January 20, 2016 02:19PM

I've used both and can't tell the difference.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2016 02:35PM

Go with the 10, no reason for one as large as a 12 on a 4wt!

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2016 07:05PM

Jim

Hope your flight connection worked.

I use 10 mm on 4 weight fly rods. Nothing wrong with a 12 mm. I suspect any performance gain for the larger guide is marginal.

There is one complication. (There is always a caveat.) Not all stripping guides are similarly measured. Some (actually most) sizes refer to the inside diameter of the guide in mm, but some (agate guides come to mind) it's the outside diameter. A 10 mm ID is OK, and, frankly, a 10 mm OD agate will work too for a 4 weight.

My experience (an admitted population of one) has been stripping guide location and casting technique are going away more important than 1 or 2 mms of stripping guide size.

Posted by: ken khoo (---.156-142-203.dynamic.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 21, 2016 06:54PM

Jim, +1 to what Don said above. If you are slow then mixing a quantity to do the whole rod will find you perhaps rushing towards the end. better to mix smaller quantities that you can comfortably work with. What Tom has said about mixing 3ml of each is to ensure you have exactly the quantity of resin and hardener as otherwise it wont set properly. This notwithstanding, I have used as little as 0.2ml. I use Threadmaster high build which claims to have more tolerance in quantity. Some builders count drops for their measurement for really small quantity. For a 10ft surf rod 8 guides plus tip no decorative wrap, I use 2ml of each. From this you can see that the smallest kit you buy will do a lot of rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 07:51AM

I just finished a batch of 50 rods. I started the build with a new set of 4 oz bottles of epoxy finish. To complete the 50 rods, I used 1/2 of each bottle to do all of the rods.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster