I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix blanks
Posted by: Jim Alberts (50.153.106.---)
Date: January 17, 2016 07:36PM

I am getting back to rod building after a long absence. I have several St Croix fly rods and am very happy with them, I am confused about the difference between SCIII and SCIV/SCII and SCIV. In the blank catalogue it does not offer SCIV blanks only SCIV/SCII and then it shows the comparable factory rod as being in the Imperial series while the comparable rod using a SCIII blank is in the Avid series. What exactly is SCIV/SCII ? Is it higher modulus (quality) than the SC III, if so why is it used in the Imperial seres and sold for a lesser amount. My goal is a 4 wt fast action rod that I can use as a backup to my 5 wt Legend Elite, I could use the same reel and line in an emergency(overline it) and it acts like a moderate action which I am comfortable with. Any help out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2016 07:46PM

Jim,
Simply put the St. Croix rods generally run from SCII on up to SCVI.

In general, as you go up in price the stiffness and strength of the blank goes up, and the wall thickness tends to go down.

For general purpose fishing with a rod with a more moderate action, the SCII is a great way to go. For a lighter and stiffer rod, go to a higher SC number.

Good luck

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 17, 2016 08:49PM

If you plan to make casts of 50' or less I would think an SCII blank would serve your needs nicely. I have a 9wt. rod built on an SCV blank and it's a cannon, ideal for long casts and windy conditions on open waters, but not particularly suited for streams and small rivers.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2016 08:10AM

I built an SCIV-SCII, 9ft., 6 WT. and I love it for my needs. It will cast dry flies nicely, I have no need to cast more than 50 or 60 ft., plus it's stiff enough to fish nymphs. I would call it moderate-fast, but of course, we all interpret the feel of a rod a bit differently. I was looking for a rod that would fish dries and nymphs equally well and I believe that I have. My opinion.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2016 10:06AM

To the question: " What exactly is SCIV/SCII ? Is it higher modulus (quality) than the SC III, if so why is it used in the Imperial seres and sold for a lesser amount. "
More and more blanks are being designed and built as blends of different modulus materials to suit function in sections of the blank and overall performance. I think lower modulus flags or sections of materials are often added to butt sections for added strength. Lower modulus materials (less stiff) are also lower in price.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2016 10:55AM

Exactly Ross. It is a blend of the two different modulus prepegs. That way St Croix can offer a blank with the best modulus in the area of the blank that it is best suited to do the job and offer the best performance. Not sure why less expensive unless they use more SCll in the blank than the SCIV which would make sense.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster