I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat install ?
Posted by: rick payne (---.gtekcommunications.com)
Date: January 12, 2016 07:59AM

I have a Fuji TVS reel seat with the carbon fiber insert. Not sure about the installation.
Looks to me like I should glue the arbor on the blank, then the rest of the seat.
Should I glue the seat to the outside of the arbor? Where it doesn't show?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
rh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat install ?
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 10:42AM

I just finished installing one. I fit the arbor to the blank then glued the arbor in place inside the reel seat. (I figured it would be a lot easier to clean up any excess glue/epoxy from the reel seat before it was mounted on the rod.) Once the arbor had dried inside the reel seat I just slide it on and epoxied it in place. Not sure if this is the correct way to install the arbors but worked fine for me.

Date: January 12, 2016 11:47AM

I thought of that as well. Sounds like maybe the cleanest way to go, as you would have to slide the real seat over the glue for the upper part of the seat and then over the arbor.
Did you use a full length arbor or short one, just filling the openings and a little more?

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: January 12, 2016 02:15PM

The process for me is similar, here's my process:

1. layout and dryfit all components of the handle. Winding checks included, I dry fit everything so that once I start the epoxy work I can tell exactly what will need to be modified to end up with tight presentation.

2. I will take whatever insert i'm using and epoxy the arbors to the inside of it first.

3. The insert gets epoxied to the reel seat.

4. Ream the arbors already epoxied in the reel seat to fit exactly how I need them to for maximum adhesion.

5. Dry fit again with grips to see what needs to be trimmed and fit.

6. Epoxy rear grip into place

7. Epoxy reel seat

8. Finish work.

Seems kinda redundant to keep dryfiting everything, but once things are epoxied they have a tendency to sit slightly different than you thought they would.

Hope that's what your after.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 03:32PM

Perfect Joe. The only other option would be tape arbors since the graphite is usually reamed so thin on the inside of the insert. Still, I prefer arbors.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 04:27PM

Another alternative is to do everything dry first, including the arbor.
That way if there is any error in fitting the arbor to the blank, it costs just the arbor and it's labor.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: January 12, 2016 04:27PM

Thanks guys, for all the help. I will have to get some more arbor material for the seat as the one I have is not long enough to do the whole thing.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 04:42PM

I've come to do all my dry fitting and pre- final assembly work on a short piece of golf club shaft that matches the taper of the blank I'm using. (a piece of old blank also works) Keeps the blank from gettting marred during the process, and its alot more convenient to slide the parts on and off. I do my dirty work in our attached garage and wrapping-finishing in the house. And there's alot of stuff to break a blank on between house and garage. Lynn

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2016 06:38PM

To answer you question, I had a short arbor that just covered the opening in the reel seat. If I remember correctly, I used tape to make an arbor at the rear of the reel seat and a short piece of arbor material on the front of the reel seat..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster