I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double and single foot wire fly guides on the same rod?
Posted by: Troy Whitrock (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 01:27PM

My 13 year old Daughter was bored so I gave her a mission to research what would be better on her new 8wt single or double foot wire guides. after about 2 hrs of note taking, searching this site, the internet and doing some serious thinking, She concluded that they don't call it custom rod building for nothing. So the rod should have both, starting from the grip and going towards the tip 2 strippers then 3 or 4 snakes and the rest single foot. Her reasoning( In a very condensed form) is that by using the snakes after the strippers you get the strength of two wraps and better line flow, while putting the single foots up near the tip you decrease the weight on the tip sections and allow the blank to flex easier and recover faster since there is only one wrap per guide. My question is has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double and single foot wire fly guides on the same rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2016 03:22PM

Sure, it's fine. The line itself doesn't care. A double foot guide is primarily used when more durability is required for use, storage, transport, etc. Getting weight off the rod, particularly near the tip, is a good reason to use single foot guides.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 03:43PM

About how much heavier - percentage wise - is a double foot snake guide + wrappings compared to a single foot snake guide with the same opening + wrappings? It seems opinions abound but factual data is scarce - like politics!

Date: January 09, 2016 03:43PM

About how much heavier - percentage wise - is a double foot snake guide + wrappings compared to a single foot snake guide with the same opening + wrappings? It seems opinions abound but factual data is scarce - like politics!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 04:03PM

A lot of different thoughts on this
The only way is to try double foot snakes all the way

And then try single foot 's -- Then make your own mind on what you -- or she -- likes Check distance -- weight of the rod -- feel in the hand

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: January 09, 2016 05:04PM

Sounds to me like her logic is sound. Do it her way. Won't she be proud.

To me the only reason for snakes is to better clear knots or other discontinuities in the line, but I don't allow the line to leader knot onto the rod. And the knots/tangles from bad casting or line management are not that common, so I go single foot. Cuts my wrap time in half. I know that some of the flats fishing experts advocate snakes, and I do snakes for my purist son. I really don't think that the differences in casting performance or feel are significant. I have bigger worries, and the biggest one is casting skill.

Date: January 09, 2016 05:49PM

Michael: I believe your comments are right on the mark, especially your observation about improving casting skill versus agonizing over a couple tenths of a gram.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 10, 2016 03:36AM

Look at the way single foot guide are build.
Same wire (and same lenght of wire) for the two, the difference is that for single foot (or so called) the two foot are on te same location and welded.
So same weight, but only one wrap (and finish associated). The différence in weight is the weigt of the thread and finish.

Another note, with snake you have two wrap, wich create a more hard point with the naturel flex of the blank.
I noticed that for light fly blank, with single foot you have in the end a rod that is more ´fast' (CCS AA greater) than the same rod with snake.
Did the fisherman may be able to notice it, that's anoter question.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2016 07:28AM

She's awesome! I hope she likes it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2016 09:44AM

Guides won't change rod action (where the rod initially flexes) so the AA would be unchanged. But the speed of the rod (CCF) would certainly change.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 10, 2016 03:26PM

Troy,
I've been building them like that for the last 10 years.
I like two double foot strippers followed by snakes for taming the line and single foot for the tip section due to the weight reduction on the tip to enhance blank response.
I prefer single foot light wire Recoils for rods up to 8 weight.
I don't particularly like the noise but I prefer the rod response.
Most of a rods perceived weight is based on the "feel" of the weight located at the rod tip.
I commend your daughter on her application thoughts. Has she shown a high degree of mechanical aptitude ??
Point her toward math and mechanical engineering.

Gene

Date: January 10, 2016 04:26PM

You have to love the inspired curiosity of the young, unencumbered by pronouncements of the past. However, if a fly-fisher's best cast is 50 feet and he or she has no desire to improve upon this there is little sense in further refining fly rod building. With practice and instruction dang near anyone can cast 80' with nearly any rod and the right line, even if it doesn't "feel" right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster