I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Quickline models: any reviews?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 04, 2016 03:28PM

Hello all.

I noticed that the Pac Bay Quickline fly rod blanks came out this year in some 10 foot models. Does anyone have experience with the new blanks yet and if so, are they similar to the 9 foot models (just longer)?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Quickline models: any reviews?
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 05:46PM

The last 10' 5wt that I built, did not really like a 5wt line. With a ERN of 6.49 customer ended up using a 6wt line on it, and said he felt it would even handle a 7. It would just not load very well with the 5wt unless you had a ton of line out, even with double hauling.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Bryan Yates (67.223.216.---)
Date: January 04, 2016 07:54PM

I built the 10' 4wt for myself, bought it for high stick nymphing and Euro style nymphing, and bought partly based on the advertised blank weight. It was a bit over the listed weight on my gram scale, but the swing weight once built really soured me on it. Built, it was overall pretty light, but it did not "fish" light.
As Ron mentioned, the rod liked a heavier line for normal casting....I eventually settled on a Rio Grand 5wt (more like a 5 1/2 weight in grains). Eventually gave the rod to a friend, who likes it. Rod feel is subjective. On a more objective note, the finish scratched very easily, and it did arrive with a rather large finish blemish on the butt section. Luckily it sanded off and was under the butt wrap, but gave me second thoughts on the quality control. Blank was relatively straight in the bottom 2 sections, 3rd section had a bend, tip section had a dog-leg which took some time and effort to figure out how to find a straight axis when assembled.
I've had great experiences with the Tradition II line, and the spin blanks. But I'll be reluctant to try another QL fly blank.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 10:15AM

I think the OP is referring to the new 6,7,8 wt 10' blanks. PacBay lists all CCS numbers including CCF so you have a ton of information.

For example, the 6wt 10' has ERN: 6.8, AA: 69, CCF:85 which means it has reasonable power for a 6wt but is very stiff. I prefer a CCF in the 80-81 range.
Overlining it with a 7wt line will reduce CCF to a more reasonable value but will likely overload it even with 40-50ft of line out.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 05, 2016 09:14PM

Thanks for the input. And yes, I was referring to the 6,7,8 weights - sorry I should have been more specific.

But the feedback on the 4 and 5 weight was helpful. I had a 4 weight for a couple of months (before it had an accident in a doorway) and could never get it to cast well. I thought it was just me but now I figure I should have tried a heavier line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster