I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap
Posted by: Robert Gilbertson (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 02, 2016 02:42PM

Getting ready to spiral wrap my first rod. Does anyone have a guide spacing chart for spiral wrap ( as a starting point ) or do you use the same guide spacing and just make the transition around the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 02, 2016 03:12PM

Robert Gilbertson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Getting ready to spiral wrap my first rod. Does
> anyone have a guide spacing chart for spiral wrap
> ( as a starting point ) or do you use the same
> guide spacing and just make the transition around
> the rod?

The same that will work fine. Jaa

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: January 02, 2016 05:25PM

The simple spiral works as well as any other method, in my opinion. Lay out your guides as normal. Turn all the guides exc the first one to 180 degrees, under the blank. Place the lowest guide of a size similar to your second guide 1/2 way between the first and second guide, place it at 90 degrees.

Place it on the side (right or left) as you prefer, most place it to keep that extra guide facing in the same direction as their reel handles to keep the guide off the deck when laying the rod with reel handles up on the deck.

Guides may be sized as you would size for conventional setup.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: January 02, 2016 06:48PM

Start with spinning rod guide spacing and as Michael said add another guide between the first and second guide. 0-90-180 works fine. I prefer 0-60-120-180 spiral with at least three guides in the 180 position. Make sure you mount your reel and run line through your guide set up with the tip top mounted. Add some weight to the line and view the line path to make sure it has a smooth transition. Make adjustments to guide spacing and direction until you are happy. Good luck, Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2016 08:39PM

If you do perform the Simple Spiral, remember that the 90 degree guide is an addition, not part of the regular guide spacing scenario. The first 0 and first 180 degree shouldn't more than maybe 8 to 12 inches apart, The 90 degree "bumper" guide is not there to take any side loads, only to keep the line off the blank.

There is a set up that uses a single 90 degree transition guide, but that guide will likely carry a side load.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 11:25AM

Start with a spinning rod spacing chart for the rod your building Then just move the first three guides upward Put line on and static test Add a bumper if needed

This way you can glue the top on at the 180 be done with it
You will be making adjustments this is only to start
I use thin fly line and have the line lay at the BOTTOM of the guides close to the blank If on the sides it will put pressure of moving the guide with a GOOD fish - first guides before the 180 ones Transition guides

What is the Vibronics spiral wrap

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2016 06:13PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 01:22PM

Robert, there is a post 5 below this one that may also be of interest to you.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 08:18PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
> Start with a spinning rod spacing chart for the
> rod your building Then just move the first three
> guides upward Put line on and static test Add a
> bumper if needed
>
> This way you can glue the top on at the 180 be
> done with it
> You will be making adjustments this is only to
> start
> I use thin fly line and have the line lay at the
> BOTTOM of the guides close to the blank If on the
> sides it will put pressure of moving the guide
> with a GOOD fish - first guides before the 180
> ones Transition guides
>
> What is the Vibronics spiral wrap

Bill, I had the same question so I contacted Steve of Vibronics to ask him. He sent me instructions on how to position the guides. His spiral maximizes casting distance. I'll send you the email he sent me. MH

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 04, 2016 08:53AM

Robert,

This topic comes up often, it seems like once a month on average. It has been hashed and rehashed so many times. There is a great deal of information in the posts at your fingertips if you use the search function of the forum.

Try using 'spiral" (without the quotes) in the search function and don't forget to change the default past 30 days to a longer period of time. All the info you might want is likely contained in the many previous threads on this subject.

Date: January 04, 2016 09:14AM

Michael

That is the basic way I do mine I just let the line tell me where they should be under pressure with a thin fly line though them
Usually I put the reel on and ty a weight on as a fish reel line back to check for stacking and readjust as needed Add bumper if necessary

Maybe I should call it the Willie Spiral LOL

I fixed that All American Spiral Seems all I had to do was add space in between the transition guides They had them at 5 -6 inches apart With more space it works very well

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 09:19AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 04, 2016 09:49AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
>
> I fixed that All American Spiral Seems all I had
> to do was add space in between the transition
> guides They had them at 5 -6 inches apart With
> more space it works very well

Hey Bill,

Glad to hear you got those guides to work on that build after all.

Date: January 04, 2016 10:47AM

Thanks John Plus I save the guy some money

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster