I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shop renovations question
Posted by: Brian Spice (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2015 08:56PM

Finally decided to remodel/improve my rod building room. Currently my bench is 36" high. I guess my question is what do you find as an optimum height?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shop renovations question
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 31, 2015 11:00PM

it will change, you or me , standing or siting stool or chair, it is all up to you , how do you feel

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2016 02:46AM

----------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 12:47PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 01, 2016 09:18AM

I'm 6'0" and my benches are built for me to be comfy. My stand-up bench is 40" and my sit down (wrapping bench is 30".

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2016 11:27AM

Brian,

I copied and saved a post by Roger Wilson, dated April 11, 2010, on that very subject; (Hope it isn't a problem that I pasted it here!).

: best rod wrapping height
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2010 11:36AM

Tom,
The height of the wrapper isn't the important point.
As Bill pointed out, it is the height of the rod, while you wrap, whether, lying, kneeling, sitting or standing.
As has been pointed out, you need to have your rod at a location that is about chest high so that you can get at a nice focal distance from the rod while wrapping.
If you are sitting, you want to be able to have perfect posture for long term lack of fatigue and long term lack of back problems.
i.e. if you use a chair when wrapping, you really should not be hunched over your rod. You should have your back straight.
Also, the table and rod should be such that you have a comfortable position for your arms when wrapping.

My suggestion is as follows:

Put yourself in the position that you would like to be in for long term wrapping. This may be sitting, standing or something else.
Then, be sure that you have perfect posture in the position that you Ase. i.e.back straight, arms at elbows at 90 degrees.

Then, take a rod or a broom handle and use books or other object to change the height of the or or broom handle until you have the rod at the height where you can work on it, without hunching over, so that you can work on it for house on end without fatigue.
Then, build your wrapper accordingly.

------------------------------
Also, don't discount the possibility that you might be better off if you have your table or bench at a different height. Maybe- for ease of tool pick up etc. it is best to have the rod 3-4 inches off the table - quite a common height.
But, then, you might find that the actual table surface height needs to be changed. i.e. either higher or lower to allow your body to achieve perfect posture.
For example, you might find that if you are simply sitting at your table or bench right now - without the wrapper in front of you; your body is sitting in a hunched over position. This would imply that you need to raise the height of your base working surface.

Also, when considering all of these facts, consider the chair or stool on which you sit. If you use a chair, you should be able to sit with your feet flat on the floor. i.e. your knees should make a 90 degree angle with your legs.
If you like to sit on a stool, the height of the stool and foot rest on the stool should be such that you can make the 90 degree angle of your lower leg with your upper leg.

Bottom line - look at the overall ergonomics of your rod building station. Start with the floor, work up from the floor to first establish your body position. Then, when your body position is in the best position, arrange to have your table or bench surface at its optimum level.

Then, with the chair correct, the table surface height correct, you then adjust the height of the rod, so its height is correct.

I will go along with the idea of using a stand up bench to wrap rods. Then, if you have such a stand up table and wrapper, have a matching stool, so that if you decide to sit, you will still be at the correct height with correct body posture.
A big advantage of having a stand up wrapping position, is that you now have the luxury of either sitting down, or standing up, when you need to move body positions to ease the body positions.

Also, if you happen to be in a location that requires you to have frequent interruptions, it is much less tiring to be working from a standing up bench/table or associated stool. It is much easier to move from one location at the stand up bench, to take care of another task, without going through the work of standing up and sitting down.

If you commonly go from a dryer, to a wrapping station, to somewhere else to take care of other tasks, the stand up bench is a great way to go.

Summary -
When setting rod height, start from the floor, insure that your body is in perfect ergonomic position, then go from your feet to the top of your head insuring that chair, table surface, and rod height are all at the optimum position for your wrapping style and specific needs.

Take care
Roger

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Brian Spice (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2016 04:17PM

Thanks for the advise and ideas to think about

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster