I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First ice rod build
Posted by: Justin Sietsema (45.52.34.---)
Date: December 28, 2015 10:50PM

i got a rod building kit from mudhole for christmas and am looking at building a ice rod for panfish mainly crappies something with a sensetive tip that transfers into back bone fairly quick i have never built a rod before it is something that has intrigued me for a while so i figure no better time than the present. i tried searching the archives for ice rod blanks but came up empty.

any help is appreciated and thank you in advance

Justin Sietsema

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First ice rod build
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 12:15AM

Janns, a supplier on the left carries them. Also when trying to find sources, I find googling it works.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 29, 2015 08:34AM

justin,
Where are you located? Your email is hidden. Email me please. thanks
Buzz

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 10:44AM

Justin,
My favorite Crappie ice rod, is a rod that is very very limber from the tip to about 1/2 way down the blank.

I prefer to use no bobbers. But with a nice soft noodle rod that has this much flex in it, the rod gives a great visual indication of a bite. For crappies, the rod really needs very little back bone to nicely land the fish. Remember, you can always point the rod straight down the hole and just reel straight up, using your arm and elbow as the landing device for the fish.

If you don't already have an ice rod, my first suggestion would be to go out and buy and inexpensive rod and see if ice fishing suits you. Pretty easy to pick up a $10-$15 rod that works just fine for most fish.

There are some other sources which have a nice setup with the guides already in place and the only thing that you have to do, is to glue the handle to the blanks with the guides on it.

Just do an internet search for ice rod - rod building and blanks and you will find these sources, as well as all of the great sponsors on the left side of the page.

Be safe

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 29, 2015 04:52PM

My personal favorite for this application and for most panfish other than jigging for perch is the 31" Microlite from Janns. The tip is soft enough to detect a light bite but it has plenty of backbone as well. I would describe it as a moderate action. I have built hundreds of them over the years and they are always popular.

The ultralight from Mudhole would be my second choice. The action is a little faster and the tip isn't as soft as the Microlite but it is still a nice blank. I use it for jigging perch with smaller Rapalas etc. It also makes a good dead stick for crappies if you like to set one down on the ice with a bobber and a minnow.

Posted by: Justin Sietsema (45.52.34.---)
Date: December 29, 2015 08:51PM

thanks for all of the replies, been ice fishing for many years already, i fish more on the ice than i do all summer long dont make sense to some but it is just more relaxing. you guys gave me lots of options to consider will keep you all posted as to where i get something from.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2015 07:45AM

Victor Heal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My personal favorite for this application and for
> most panfish other than jigging for perch is the
> 31" Microlite from Janns. The tip is soft enough
> to detect a light bite but it has plenty of
> backbone as well. I would describe it as a
> moderate action. I have built hundreds of them
> over the years and they are always popular.
>
> The ultralight from Mudhole would be my second
> choice. The action is a little faster and the tip
> isn't as soft as the Microlite but it is still a
> nice blank. I use it for jigging perch with
> smaller Rapalas etc. It also makes a good dead
> stick for crappies if you like to set one down on

Are these the ones, Victor?

MICROLITE ICE ROD BLANKS, 31" LENGTH
MICROLITE ICE ROD BLANKS, 31" LENGTH
Microlite ice fishing rod blanks are designed with the panfish fisherman in mind. Microlite ice rod blanks are a solid graphite/fiberglass composite. The super sensitive tip measures only 2/64". To finish your ice rod, add handle, guides and our special microlite top. Rod blank is 31" long, black with blaze orange tip.
Order #: 920215
Availability: In Stock
$4.75 / EACH

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: December 30, 2015 10:45AM

I agree with Vic, the Microlite ice blanks from Janns are a go to favorite with my clients. Get the tip tops that Janns offers for these blanks, the action of the blanks is Moderate, the the blanks are very sensitive and transition well after the hook set. I will often cut a couple of inches from the butt section of the blanks to build shanty rods to 28 inches, and the longer blanks are a favorite with the bucket fishermen.

Posted by: Victor Heal (107.77.165.---)
Date: December 30, 2015 01:58PM

Yes Sir.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster