I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting blanks
Posted by: Paul James Vonderwall (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 27, 2015 11:22PM

Hi guys have a job to do painting of six rods
Which are white he wants the back to honey
Color they are sabre rods any help would be
Good happy wrapping

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2015 04:43PM

Do a search on the archives here to uncover a ton of information on "painting blanks."

You can also find this article in the online library here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Paul James Vonderwall (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 29, 2015 05:00AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do a search on the archives here to uncover a ton
> of information on "painting blanks."
>
> You can also find this article in the online
> library here:
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
>
> ..............

Thanks tom

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 02:09PM

I have used Duplicolor Perfect match on some blanks. They have a ton of colors...pretty much if it's on a car, they have it.

The method I've used with good results is to use Duplicolor adhesion promoter, followed by as many coats as necessary to cover the blank. On a white blank, this should be relatively few. Black blanks are a bit more difficult to cover. For clear I use an automotive 2 part urethane and a sprayer with my air compressor. I let the color coat gas off for a couple of weeks because it is a laquer and I've read that this period is required, although I can't say for sure. Fortunately, I did not have to learn this lesson the hard way! If you don't have a spray gun, then a body shop may be able to help you out. They clear cars anyways, so they should be able to piggyback off of that, with what I'm guessing to be minimal cost.

I'm guessing the white is painted on, so you may want to sand that down to give the paint something to grip, and potentially omit the primer/adhesion promoter step.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2015 12:47PM

Your customer wishes to go from the white back to the original honey color?

My experience has been that some were painted. Others seemed to have a pigment added to the resin used in creating the blanks. The best method to determine what process was actually used, is to check the butt end of the blank. If painted,then perhaps CitrusStrip or something similar would be the way to go to remove it. Do a test on a small portion of the butt end first. You don't want to compromise the blank. It seems safe. You could also try wet sanding with 600 grit paper to see which method works best.

Good luck and be sure to post your results here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster