I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima guides and braid
Posted by: Brittan Battles (---.eohio.net)
Date: December 26, 2015 07:15PM

Since the minima's have been on the market for a good while now, does anyone have a verdict on how they hold up to modern braided line? I would imagine they would be just fine and optimal for freshwater use, but what about saltwater use for big game inshore species?

Brittan Battles
Battle Fin Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima guides and braid
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 26, 2015 09:13PM

Work great. I use them on my salt bottom fishing rods, fly rods, spinning rods and light surf rods. The guides are light and tough.

Date: December 26, 2015 10:17PM

Thanks for the reply! I really like the look and simplicity of them. I am considering putting a set on a few surf rods that I am building this winter.

Posted by: chris newkirk (205.204.248.---)
Date: December 27, 2015 01:55AM

I wouldn't argue with someone who has used them with good results, particularly on the same application as what you plan to use them for. However, I've seen this question come up before and from what I recall several builders had issue with them. I personally have seen minimas groove (most often tip-tops, but also other guides in the train) with mono and fluoro and not always over many years of use, sometimes a fairly short period of time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2015 07:25AM

Keep in mind that there are guides on the market that look like Minimas, but which aren't.

Date: December 27, 2015 08:29AM

Tom is correct. Other companies make very similar guides that don't hold up. The only time I had an issue with grooving is with the tip tops. That's because I caught over a dozen 8-10# bluefish in a blitz. The tip grooved so I swapped the tip out and 2 years later I use the same rod with the same guides. They're holding up perfect. I just built several rods for clients and all have minima 4 guides. Some are spiral wrapped bottom rods and other ones are spinning rods. I wouldn't use them if I thought I the guides wouldn't hold up. Good luck MH

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 27, 2015 01:19PM

Unless you fish in water saturated with carborundum particles I doubt any type of line will cut grooves in any size guides with less than 500 miles of reeled-in line (casted and trolled line can't cut grooves). If you are still worried save your sales receipt. I'll bet any reputable manufacturer of guides would accommodate legitimate complaints.

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 27, 2015 01:26PM

Hello All,

I am going to interject here for a couple of reasons. First is that Pac Bay Minima guides have had issues with quality control, second is that Pac Bay did not invent the stainless rings. ( I was with Pac Bay for over 10 years).

Minima (stainless steel rings) have had small batches that have had the grooving issue on the rings. This was caused by the research conducted indicating that the grooving seemed to have inadequate depth of the hard chrome on the ring itself. Second note is that there have been issues with rings not being glued, and the rings would spin.

Second point is that Pac Bay did not invent this style of rings, Pure Fishing is the inventor of the rings and Pac Bay was the first to manufacture them.

I am not writing this to say that Pac Bay Minima guides are bad, on the contrary, for the price they are very good value. That said, they are not the only company capable of manufacturing the stainless (Minima) style ring guides and there are equivalent products on the market.

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 08:18AM by Rick Hall.

Date: December 27, 2015 01:46PM

Rick, who else manufactures that style guide? I have a rod I bought a while back with similar guides made by fuji. I haven't seen those fuji guides offered by anyone. Thx, MH

Date: December 27, 2015 08:11PM

I would be interested in who else manufacturers them. Honestly, I really like the looks of the minima guides, plus the color choices are great. Like it or not, having comprehensive color options for guides makes them attractive to my customers, as long as they will perform, I'd rather use something that makes a customer love the rod and will make it stand out from the rest.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 10:21AM

The AirWaves are a stainless steel ring design...... [americantackle.us]

And are hold up incredible under in house and independent testing.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 10:26AM by Don @ American Tackle.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 11:54AM

Rick Hall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello All,
>
> I am going to interject here for a couple of
> reasons. First is that Pac Bay Minima guides have
> had issues with quality control, second is that
> Pac Bay did not invent the stainless rings. ( I
> was with Pac Bay for over 10 years).
>
> Minima (stainless steel rings) have had small
> batches that have had the grooving issue on the
> rings. This was caused by the research conducted
> indicating that the grooving seemed to have
> inadequate depth of the hard chrome on the ring
> itself. Second note is that there have been
> issues with rings not being glued, and the rings
> would spin.
>
> Second point is that Pac Bay did not invent this
> style of rings, Pure Fishing is the inventor of
> the rings and Pac Bay was the first to manufacture
> them.
>
> I am not writing this to say that Pac Bay Minima
> guides are bad, on the contrary, for the price
> they are very good value. That said, they are not
> the only company capable of manufacturing the
> stainless (Minima) style ring guides and there are
> equivalent products on the market.

OK Rick so who else makes that style of guide? I just saw on Tackle Warehouse the Edge Rod by non other that Gary Loomis is using a TFO guide that looks to be the same as the minima but doing a search I have been unable to find them anywhere.

Tom

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 01:20PM

Hello,

There are several manufacturers make guides with the stainless rings. The only MANUFACTURES I know of selling in this country are Pac Bay (CAXIN in China), and starting this week SeaGuide.

Additionally there are manufacturers that make guides and reel seats for other companies for private label so it makes it almost impossible to tell who manufactured what.

I have never seen a Fuji guides with a stainless ring. You could ask them.

SeaGuide does not private label, we only build and sell under one name.

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 02:53PM

Rick thanks for your reply.

Tom

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: December 29, 2015 05:09PM

Rick:

How does an independent rod builder purchase these guides and reel seats?

Is there a distributor among the sponsors?

Joe

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 05:24PM

Hi,

If I remember correctly, Dynaflow guides were used on Daiwa rods back in the early 1980’s which is most likely where the concept/idea came from. That same style of flanged metal ring has been produced for years and has been available from some early Korean manufacturers as well. The originals were not flanged/folded on both sides(but had more of a smooth rounded ID) and similar to the original style that PB first produced for Berkley(Pure Fish). The PB versions in all likelihood were initiated after someone recalled the previous Daiwa rod versions.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: December 29, 2015 07:31PM

The ones used on TFO rods aren't durable. A friend has several rods he uses for clients on his charters. He is essential them in saltwater and the rings break and the guide feet are weak. I like the minima guides but I will check out the sea guides. I'll buy a set if they're the same style as the minima and build myself a test rod. Have a Happy New Year! MH

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: December 29, 2015 07:37PM

Rick, When will Angler's Workshop have the guides in stock and what is the name of them? Thx MH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster