I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spray on contact cement
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: December 24, 2015 09:57AM

I spotted some weldwood spray can contact cement at the local craft store. has anyone tried this and is it as good as the standard brush on stuff from the glass bottle? would like to cut down on the mess if possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spray on contact cement
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2015 04:08AM

James,
The effective use of a particular glue depends a great deal on the particular use for the glue.

For some uses, the use of a brush on or roller on glue works best. For other uses, the use of a spray adhesive works better. Depending on the particular use, either or both may work the best for a particular application.

I use both types, depending on the particular application.

The one thing that one needs to be aware of with spray applied adhesives is that sometimes the propellent used in the spray adhesive may work in a negative fashion with certain materials being used on a project.

In particular, if one is working with certain types of foam, the propellent may melt the foam. So, always do a test application on the materials being used in the project to be sure that the particular product or adhesive are compatible with each other for the given use.

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: December 25, 2015 08:07AM

You won't like it for use on grips if that's what you want it for. The stuff sprays out stringy and incomplete. The brush on stuff is the only way to get a good even coverage on EVA pieces. I tried the spray can route, ruined a grip, and tossed it in the trash.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: December 25, 2015 03:29PM

Spray gets everywhere, ineffective as mentioned, and less cost effective. Give me a nice, comfortable seat at the work bench, not having to transport freshly glued pieces from outside while keeping them separated, every time when I'm work with contact cement.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2015 12:19AM

For the folks who ask about spray adhesive.

I don't use spray adhesive in rod building, but I do use spray adhesive in furniture making to adhere tops to table bases. I also use spray adhesive when I do upholstery work to adhere foam to the work pieces.
In these cases, I would use only spray adhesive.

As I said initially, it depends on the application for the adhesive. For some uses, spray application is really the best way to apply the adhesive.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 04, 2016 09:16AM

I know Billy Vivona tried the spray on adhesive for building up foam grips and it did not hold up during shaping. I previously contacted DAP, makers of Weldwood contact cement, and learned that the spray can version of their product is different from all other products they manufacture. It is formulated to have adhesive holding properties somewhere between a temporary fixative and a permanent adhesive, more of a semi-permanent product.

I have not tried this personally, but it may work as a lubricant for sliding soft foam grips like hypalon over large diameter blanks (not firm foam grip material like EVA). Traditionally, some builders use regular contact cement as a lubricant for this purpose in the pre-tacky state. regular two-part paste epoxy is applied to the blank where the grip will rest, then the contact cement is applied above this in the entire area where the grip will need to be expanded when it is slid home. Contact cement makes a great lubricant when liquid during the pre-tacky state and the grips slide into place very easily. The residue is then cleaned up more easily than if you applied epoxy throughout this area. This is the only rodbuilding use I can thin of where the spray can version of contact cement might be useful, though I have not personally tried it - I use the canned cement for this purpose (or compressed air if that is available).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster