I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ice fishing rod build any tips?
Posted by: Drew Klein (74.10.173.---)
Date: December 21, 2015 09:32AM

Hi Group,

I'm building an ice fishing rod for a friend, bought a MudHole kit and all set, but running into a new issue while wrapping the rod guides. (I've built 5 rods so far, so still in the "novice" range and this is my first ice fishing rod).
The blank is so flexible that the tension from the thread is pulling the rod out of line on the wrapping mount (basic Pacific Bay unit). That's shifting the guide, messing up the wrap, etc. When I loosed the tension to lessen that bend, I have trouble getting a tight wrap. And so it goes...
Does anyone have any helpful tips or do I just have to trial and error until I find the perfect tension?
Thanks, and happy holiday season to all,
Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 04:19PM by Drew Klein.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ice fishing rob build any tips?
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 21, 2015 09:41AM

Rig something to hold the blank straight, or use a finger like a hook to hold the blank straight as you turn it.

Re: ice fishing rob build any tips?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2015 10:00AM

Drew,
When you build flexible ice rods, be willing to move the rod rests close to the guide being wrapped.

Normally, if I am building a very limber ice rod, I will have a rod rest within two inches of each side of the guide. Just enough room, to be able to nicely wrap the guides.

For very very flexible blanks I will go to my special rod rest as shown in the following picture:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Ice rods drying:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The special rod rests that I made for flexible blanks were made from sections of solid glass blanks. I used a dremel to notch the end of the blank to a size that would fit the blank being wrapped. The base is a piece of plastic cutting board. There are holes drilled in the base about 1 inch apart and the vertical rests will slip into any of the holes to space the rests where ever needed.

One note when using open topped rests as these are. If the thread source is positioned above the blank, there will be a tendency to pull the blank up and out of the slot in the rest.

So, when I use this rest for very flexible rods, I use an additional thread guide that is virtually next to the base of the wrapper. That way, the low thread position, will tend to pull the blank into the rod rest, rather than a high thread position that will tend to pull the thread up and out of the slot.

But, if you just move the conventional rod rests close to each side of the guide, that will cure the problem for most blanks. As you move up and or down the blank, just move the rod rests with you as you go up and down the blank.

If the rod rests are quite close to the guide, even a flexible blank will not bend too much.

If anything with fine flexible blanks I may even tighten the tension on the thread. Since the blank is so small, the tension normally needs to be quite high for good guide holding ability on the fine blank. I assume that you are wrapping only on solid ice rod blanks. With solid ice rod blanks there is no issue about crushing the blank with too much thread tension.

After you have wrapped a bunch, it normally will take no more than about 15 minutes to wrap the guides on a blank, if you are only talking about 3 or 4 guides, plus hook keeper and butt wrap.

Good luck

Re: ice fishing rod build any tips?
Posted by: Victor Heal (107.77.165.---)
Date: December 22, 2015 11:24AM

A lot of times I will leave the butt end in the rollers but roll the tip area between my fingers using my hands to support it. Think of it like grabbing both ends of a pencil and spinning it between your fingers. Hope that makes sense. It works for me anyway and I build a lot of ice rods.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: December 22, 2015 04:11PM

Use a little bit of guide adhesive (low melt glue stick) to hold the guide in place, that helps.

Posted by: Drew Klein (74.10.173.---)
Date: December 22, 2015 04:33PM

These are great tips, thank you everyone

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster