I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PROBLEM WITH DECAL LIFTING WHILE EPOXY IS DRYING
Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: December 15, 2015 06:51PM

I attempted to look up this topic before asking. on 2 recent occasions I had my MHX decal lift and peel while the epoxy is drying... out of the dozens of rods that I have built, this is the first time that it has happened. I had the a under wrap, a thin layer of epoxy. I then allowed it to fully cure before applying the decal and laying the final coat of epoxy. How can I avoid this from happening again? Help please...The epoxy that I have been using is D2 if that makes a difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PROBLEM WITH DECAL LIFTING WHILE EPOXY IS DRYING
Posted by: Jim Underwood (---.dhcp.klfl.or.charter.com)
Date: December 15, 2015 07:11PM

I think there was a post about this a few days ago,
It was recommended to apply a coat of CP after the decal is placed, let cure, then epoxy.

I had the same problem with the last MHX decal too, and will try the CP trick with the one on the wrapper now and post back.

P.S.
I was able to save that one decal by using a double edge razor to trim the lifted edges, then applied the second coat of epoxy.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2015 07:30PM

I had this happen too in the past. Someone told me to wrap the decal around a similar diameter blank for a few days prior (using rubberbands or something similar) to "train" the decal how it should go. Works pretty well.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2015 06:03AM

Roger, you epoxy brand was blacked out. I went to Threadmaster because of similar problems with another finish and have not had problems. Also let the finish cure just a little bit longer before applying to the decal area. Sometimes if the finish is thin it works its way under specific brands of decals. Let it tack up a bit and this problem should be taken care of.
Buzz

Date: December 16, 2015 12:10PM

Thanks guys for all the pointers. I will try the CP trick. I will continue to follow the thread and see if anyone else has some pointers to prevent decals from lifting during the curing process.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 16, 2015 01:04PM

I have found that if I apply the decal (Manufacturers or Decal Connections) upon a coat of epoxy that has just gotten past the,"it will finger print" stage, they adhere very very well. No edge lifting, and in fact the decal edges seem to almost disappear. I have never had to apply CP.

I do find it important to bend the decal around a smaller portion of the blank in order to preset a curve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 01:06PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.225.136.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 17, 2015 02:35AM

Had this happen a few times on various decals only to have to strip things off and try again. Now I've learned to swipe a very thin streak of Krazy Glue along the edge of the decal with the Krazy Glue applicator tip (I use the standard little liquid tube). It dries in just a few minutes and you're ready to apply finish. Gives two great results...your label/decal stays down and you can't see the glue at all after the finish goes on.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2015 08:24AM

Spray with Krylon Fixative 2 light coats and it will stay I spray all mine and have no problems Also is VERY CLEAR

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 17, 2015 12:34PM

I'll try this method, I have some on my shelf. Thanks for the Tip Bill.....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2015 02:13PM

I like it better then CP CP always looks kind of cloudy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2015 12:06AM

Bill do you mask off the area to be applied to? I just finished a cross wrap for my daughter's Christmas rod...a little late I know. Gonna tie it off and the decal is going next to it. Want this thing to stick right since it's going so close to my hours of work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster