I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guide feet
Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.uncg.edu)
Date: December 15, 2015 08:17AM

Hi all,

I am about to do my first micro guide train (although I have done a microwave set). Does anyone bother with filing/grinding down the feet for these things? They are american tackle size 4's. They already seem so tiny and thin that I think the thread should have no problem with transitioning up from the blank. They are after all much thinner than normal guide feet even when those have been given the file treatment. Even if I skip the filing I probably will sand off any potential burrs, but that is about it.

Thanks,
Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guide feet
Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: December 15, 2015 08:30AM

Buff the bottom of the guide foot to make sure there are no sharp edges and leave the top alone unless some treatment is found to be necessary for proper thread wrapping.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2015 08:56AM

Hitting the top edge of the foot with a file will do no harm and can help prevent cracking at the very edge of the foot-thread junction. I'd take just a moment to do it.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2015 01:01PM

I second Mr. Kirkman's comment.

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: December 15, 2015 01:47PM

Never had a crack there. If it isn't broken, I don't fix it.

Posted by: chris newkirk (205.204.248.---)
Date: December 15, 2015 05:21PM

Sometimes the thread will still jump around on micros when it meets the foot if not filed or ground. If you like to try to wrap fast, take a minute to smooth them down a bit.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 16, 2015 10:41AM

Ya could just hit the feet with 220 wet/dry paper makes for better grip for the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2015 04:12PM

I typically prep all of my guide feet. As much as anything, I like to have tiny grooves running across the guides to better grip the thread. I do this by holding the guide foot perpendicular to a 1X30 inch belt sander with 220 grit paper on it.

The paper cleans up any issues with the feel and the foot is left with tiny horizontal grooves which better hold the thread - rather than a smooth surface.

Be safe

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.buvl.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2015 11:09PM

I have noticed on some micro guides, depending on how the foot is ground at the tip, there will be a slight burr pointing up. I usually take a small diamond dust file (flat) and hit the end on top and check the bottom for any new burrs I might have made by hitting the top. Takes hardly no time at all to prep.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2015 12:53AM

Mark,
I keep a fine knife sharpener stone handy for cleaning up burrs. After the guide has been checked and or prepped, I run the guide foot across the stone to be sure that the bottom of the guide is flat and free of burrs.
Generally, one or two passes is sufficient to take care of any of these small issues.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: December 18, 2015 10:50AM

I use a Buck Knife Arkansas stone for de-burring as Roger mentioned, it's a small stone that fits the hand as easily as any file or sandpaper. Maybe 3 X 1 1/2 inches and 3/8 inch thick.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 19, 2015 12:16PM

I shorten the feet by about 1/3 and reshape. Cuts 15 to 20% off weights.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster