I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

length on surf rod
Posted by: walter brown (---.static.hvvc.us)
Date: December 14, 2015 10:43AM

wanting to build a hatteras type heaver for drum fishing. going to use up to eight ounces of lead and a chunk of bait that may weigh half that much or more. is the common rule of thumb for these type rods still shorter ten footers with stout tips? is there any advantage in going to a longer rod? with so much weight it might be harder to cast if the rod is made too long. I am 64 years old and in good physical condition but only 5'8" tall so rod length could be important. any thoughts on what is the hot set up these days? I have not fished for the obx drum in nearly two decades and know there have been improvements in the type rods people are using for heavy bait fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: length on surf rod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2015 11:47AM

Walter,
My customers in NC are ordering 12'0" two piece blanks with unequal pieces. Tip section is 8'4".

[ctsfishing.com]

One customer had a custom 12'0" made to handle 8oz plus bait. It was a one piece blank and paid $350 to have the engineering done. Since CTS already made this blank there will be no engineering on subsequent blanks. But shipping on that blank was $300 +.
Regards,
Herb
U.S. Distrib. CTS Blanks

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 14, 2015 02:17PM

Herb,

You may want to look for another shipper. I found the $300 you quoted to be shocking.
Shipping a quantity of 12 blanks (14' length, 8' tip) in 4 boxes from NZ to Hawaii (door to door) was quoted at 220 USD and included documentation fees. It did not include import fees.
The quote was for UPS Express.

Walter,

People often go by the length of the blank when it may be more appropriate to go by the effective length as measured from tip to butt when the blank is loaded. What I am saying is that the action is also important in determining the appropriate length. 13 feet is becoming more common.

Talon blanks are well known in Hawaii as they are of good quality and reasonably priced. Their website is Talon-Graphite. Click on custom blanks, then select Ulua blanks on the right side of the window.

St. Croix is a sponsor (left panel) and does carry blanks rated in the heaver range.

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Date: December 14, 2015 05:32PM

Don
This was a one piece 12'0" blank.
Herb

Date: December 14, 2015 09:51PM

Herb,

My apologies. I should have caught that info.

I am used to shipping 16' outrigger tops for very little cost by barge.

Is there a freight consolidator in NZ that you could use?

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: December 14, 2015 10:57PM

Walter unhide your email & I'll send you some info off-line

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-70-210-11.myvzw.com)
Date: December 15, 2015 08:55AM

Hey Walter,

I fish the northern obx with a St. Croix Avid 11 foot 3-8 ounce and I really like this blank. I can cast up to 7 and bait with it and will eventually build a heaver like you want in the future. Usually if the conditions are rough to need 8 or more to hold bottom the fish are closer to the beach. I just don't see how going much more than 11 foot will help with distance anyway with that much weight and if it did it would wear most folks out fishing for a length of time.On my blank radar is the 12 foot Rod Geeks made with St Croix materials and design and Fiberstar Composites 11 footer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2015 08:59AM

While it won't change the swing weight of the sinker and bait, if the blank you choose is graphite versus glass, you can probably go a little longer in the graphite model and not suffer any undue physical penalty on your end. Same regarding the action of the blank. A faster taper will have less material out near the tip so this would also allow you to go a little longer with not much of a penalty for your physical abilities.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 15, 2015 10:22AM

Walter,

Having fished Hatteras since the early 80's I can tell you that the current standard setup is graphite, mostly two-piece,12 to 13 feet long. You can spend as little as 150 dollars on a blank, or as much as 400 dollars depending on the maker. I would not get a blank with a top rating below 10 oz. because you have to account for the 8 oz. sinker plus the chunk of bait or fish head you're going to be throwing. My rods are rated to 16 oz., and while that may sound excessive, they seem to load perfectly with 8 and bait. Good luck with your build.

Date: December 15, 2015 10:19PM

Don,
CTS does that stuff for me. They charge me $60 no matter how many blanks - up to 11'0".

But once that length is exceeded the price goes up..

CTS once shipped me 3 one piece 11'0" blanks which I had to re-ship to customer. Both UPS and FedEx wanted in excess of $600 to ship. CTS negotiated UPS down to $350 - their dime because their error.
Price was high because tube too light for freight and too long for ground.
Have to be careful with that stuff.

BTW - tube arrived crushed. probably by a fork lift. They didn't care - delivered it anyway and claimed contents not damaged. They fought us at every turn.
herb

Date: December 18, 2015 01:13AM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW - tube arrived crushed. probably by a fork
> lift. They didn't care - delivered it anyway and
> claimed contents not damaged. They fought us at
> every turn.
> herb

Hi Herb,

Ditto. A shipment came in via cargo ship. The cartons were not ripped and the insurance company refused to pay. 30+ outriggers distroyed. The diameters of the outriggers were 2" at the base and 3/4" at the tip. For Pacific area shipments, I have had good service from FedEx and DHL. UPS has provided good service for UK shipments.

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster