I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9ft 8wt all-around fly rod guide setup?
Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: December 10, 2015 11:17AM

Hi,

I'm building my first fly rod and I'm going to be fishing Florida largemouth bass, and some inshore fishing. I'm going to be using the Revelation 908-4 blank. I've been looking around and see so man varieties of single foot guide setups, and this is what I'm currently thinking about using:

4 - XHSFG3
2 - XHSFG4
1 - XHSFG5
1 - XHSFG6

Stripper Guides
1 - XMXNLG12
1 - XMXNLG16

Will this setup be ideal for me? I'm going to be throwing a 8wt line forward line and unsure if the 3's may be too small. Also I'm unsure if that many "step downs" are needed for this rod. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9ft 8wt all-around fly rod guide setup?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2015 11:27AM

Way too many different sizes of guides. You only need three at most and usually just 2 will get you by.

If you know that 3's will be large enough to pass your line and connections, go from the 16 stripper to maybe a 10 and then right into size 3 runners the rest of the way. This actually provides a straight line path and at less weight than throwing in all those additional sizes. You don't need them - they do nothing for the line.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2015 11:55AM

#3's are fine for the 8wt.

Who makes those guides? I only use Fuji so they are foreign to me.
Herb

Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.sub-70-209-60.myvzw.com)
Date: December 10, 2015 12:01PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #3's are fine for the 8wt.
>
> Who makes those guides? I only use Fuji so they
> are foreign to me.
> Herb

These are Alps(Batson) guides. I work for a rod component seller and these were recommended by a co-worker as well as Batson

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: December 10, 2015 05:04PM

If you are new to building fly rods let me suggest two things: First, pay attention to the distance from the grip to the first guide with respect to picking the line off the guide for casting. Make sure it fits you. Second, since bones and other salt fish take off so fast I don't put anything in front of the grip that might snag the line as I'm trying to get onto the reel. That means no keeper. Use the frame of the first guide after wrapping the line over the reel and back toward the tip. Keeps the knot out of the guides.

I suggest using the oversized tiptops so when the knot gets into it, it comes out easier.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2015 05:10PM

Wyatt

Rambling thoughts in no special order of importance:

First, an 8 weight can do double duty - fresh and salt water - so regardless of guide sizes think about having all hardware ready to deal with the salt;

Secondly, a blank manufacturer's recommendations for guide sizes and locations are a great starting point. Those recommendations might or might not work for you, but they will get you close where you can fine tune them.

Finally, there are those who argue in favor of larger guides and those who argue in favor of smaller guides. The argument might never be objectively and finally won. The sizes you listed are more than sufficient for the backing to line to pass, and if the guides are snakes (I too am not familiar with your preferred manufacturer's guides.) a #2 is not too small.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2015 05:23PM

My argument would be to use the correct sized guides, neither smaller nor larger. This is always the best bet and results in no penalty either way.

What is the "correct size?" That would be the smallest and lightest guides that will easily pass your line and any expected connections you plan to employ, and that will hold up to the task involved.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2015 08:21PM

Since the wire guides are single foot I wouldn't go below a 3, you will notice that Tom's suggestion will actually use only
two real guide sizes as the # 10 ceramic guide and your #3 single foot wires are very similar in hole size.

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: December 11, 2015 06:59AM

I should have mentioned earlier that if you catch any bones, your line to backing knot WILL go through the guides and very quickly, too, so you want to make sure that what you do with the guides will clear the knots cleanly.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 11, 2015 12:57PM

[alpsforecast.com]

Hope this helps. They are ALPS Guides FYI..

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 11, 2015 12:57PM

[alpsforecast.com]

Hope this helps. They are ALPS Guides FYI..

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster