I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

looking for something with a "faster tip" than a Fenwick HMG HMG70M-FS
Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: December 02, 2015 02:44PM

Anyone with any experience with the Bushido spin jig SJ72/8-15 that could compare the tip speed to the Fenwick HMG 70M-FS? Looking for a rod with a soft, fast tip section and a good backbone. this rod will be used for the Walleye run on the Maumee River drifting egg sinkers behind floating jig heads and curly tail grubs. My customer likes the Fenwick, but said he would like something that gets into the meat of the rod a little quicker with a soft tip. Any other ideas? Am I way off base thinking that a "spin jig" type blank would offer such a thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for something with a "faster tip" than a Fenwick HMG HMG70M-FS
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 04:26PM

Possibly a "drop shot" blank? I have built a MHX DS822 blank. 6'10", 6-14 line, light tip and plenty of backbone, although I never drifted egg sinkers. I use mine for jigging bass and Canadian walleye.
Rog

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2015 05:38PM

I would also recommend the DS822-MHX this is a great all around model.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: December 02, 2015 08:20PM

Thank you, guys. I really should've told you in the original post that he's typically throwing 5/8-3/4 oz so that's really pushing it for a dropshot blank, but that's the speed I'm looking for. That's why I wondered about the spin jig type of blank. I've been pouring over the books and stats and am wondering if the Point Blank PB731MXF would work (if he's willing to part with the extra dough)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 08:52PM

How about the MHX P884 popping rod blank. Has an extra fast tip which is softer than a spin/jig blank of similar specs but has a lot of backbone. I have built a number of these; it makes up into a very nice spin or cast rod.
Norm

Date: December 02, 2015 09:11PM

Norm, this may sound like a dumb question, but the popping rod that you're speaking of, is it an extra fast tip or just an extra fast for a popping rod?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 09:59PM

Popping rods are traditionally used for throwing and working a popping cork , or a jig when fishing for inshore species such as speckled trout or red fish. However, many freshwater fishermen have found that they make great rods for topwater plugs, jerk baits, jigs and crankbaits. Some will also use them as finese rods. These rods have an extra fast tip which are forgiving but have plenty of backbone when needed. They will throw a lure out of sight. They are really quite versatile rods and can be made as either spinning rod or casting rods. Most freshwater fisherman have no idea what a popping rod is but those of us that fish both freshwater and inshore salt water love these rods. The MHX P844 is one of my favorites. I have not yet built on a point blank blank but I am planning on trying one as soon as I can get my hands on some a give them a wiggle. So I cannot comment on point blank blanks except they appear to be excellent blanks, but at a cost. Others may chime in on these.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2015 11:56AM

Jared when a rod is called an extra fast it is referring to the action of the rod, that is the tip section. The popping blank that Norm is referring to has that action in the tip with some good backbone to handle you heavier weight.

Keep in mind that names given to rods don't necessary indicate their only application but maybe their most used application. A rod blank is a tube with an inherent power and action. That tis what you have to look at when selecting one for any particular application. Just like looking under blanks for spinning rods and you build it as a bait caster , not a thing wrong with doing that.

Tom

Date: December 03, 2015 12:17PM

Norm thanks for the clarification. For some reason I was thinking that popping style blanks were usually a more moderate taper. Brain lapse. ha ha.

Yes, Tom. Understand completely, I'm just not very familiar with popping rod blanks. I've only built a couple of them.

Thank you both for your suggestions. The popping rod blank just might be the one that fits this niche...Appreciate the help immensely

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 09:16AM

We will be posting all the CCS numbers on the POINT Blank website early next week but FYI the numbers for the PB731MXF are AA-82, ERN 25.1. Very fast with plenty of power.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2015 10:07AM

Thanks, Jim. That particular Point Blank model, a MHX popping rod and maybe adding a couple of inches on the butt of a slightly shorter extra fast action rod are my short list right now. It was good to speak with you yesterday and appreciate your input and your ability to humbly admit that you couldn't answer my question, but that you would find out the answer. That speaks volumes. Have a great day and weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster