I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Table saw to rip EVA strips?
Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: December 02, 2015 10:45AM

So I've gotten myself into a bind and need some strips of white cut out of a eva block I have. I don't have a bandsaw but I do have a tablesaw. I was thinking of picking up a finetooth blade and cutting some thin strips.

Anyone ever cut strips on their tablesaw?

I know my mitersaw with a 120tooth blade cuts eva blocks very cleanly but I need some eva strips of white

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Table saw to rip EVA strips?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2015 11:34AM

Yes and it does quite a good job. Just be careful working with foam and power saws. They weren't really designed to cut soft items but with some care will do so quite well.

Date: December 02, 2015 11:37AM

what tooth blade have you used on your tablesaw

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 12:21PM

Be safe. Buy the foam sheets from a craft store and use those instead. They will make perfectly fine accent rings or whatever.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 02:14PM

Gonna be pretty hard to get a thin piece cut with out it getting sucked into the machine by the blade. Wood is rigid but foam is not and will travel into the void next to the blade . Any attempts t hold it to prevent that will most likely put personal safety at risk. Plus you will waste as much as you cut due to the kerf. Get craft foam as suggested above. Works fine .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 02:55PM

Likely the best method is to use a band saw to cut the eva or other similar type material.

Although a table saw would cut it just fine, if you try to cut narrow strips of this material - one runs the risk of personal injury or worse.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2015 06:27PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 03:09PM

I think we should all be glad that Roger posts on this forum. Always helpful

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2015 03:30PM

The pieces that are thin enough to get sucked down into the blade opening can be retrieved from the chip box or the floor, after you're done, if you want to go about it this way. If the same thing you're after can be achieved with craft store foam sheets, that's obviously the easier route to take. They do come in white.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: December 02, 2015 06:12PM

Roger have you tried what you suggested? I would think the heat generated from abrading the foam would produce an unacceptable finish to the cut.
Just wondering...

Date: December 03, 2015 07:23AM

Thanks guys i just picked up some craft foam. The more I thought about it the more I envisioned a wicked kickback or bind.

Date: December 03, 2015 10:35AM

John,
Yes, I have used my chop saw that has an abrasive cut off wheel on it to trim eva and hypalon grips to length and it works very well.

Obviously one has to watch the speed of the cut, but as long as you do that, it seems to work well.

I do use a "tool room abrasive wheel" which is only .060 thick which of course removes less material.

Be safe

Date: December 03, 2015 01:03PM

Whatever you do, don't rip a narrow strip of foam on a table saw using the fence. This kind of cut is probably the most dangerous kind of cut you could make.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 03, 2015 01:21PM

I am not well versed in wood working tools but with all the red flags I will go to the Arts an craft store [Walmart is closest to me ] to get what I need .

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2015 02:49PM

Do you want to cut the eva lengthwise or in thin slices 2x2 ?

Date: December 03, 2015 04:14PM

As John pointed out, it is probably best to just stay away from a table saw and attempting to cut foam by any means.

There is just too much danger if the cuts are to be for narrow strips - even if you use only a cutting wheel and not a blade and have a 0 clearance saw kerf on the blade.

Use the foam from the store as you indicated that you are going to do.

Be safe

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2015 08:18PM

set the fome on a piece of 1/4 " ply and set the fome on it and cut no voide.

to fall into

Date: December 07, 2015 10:24AM

curtis drumm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> set the fome on a piece of 1/4 " ply and set the
> fome on it and cut no voide.
>
> to fall into

Curtis the problem is not just having too much clearance between the side of the blade and the throat plate opening, It's twofold: 1) it's the fact that the foam is soft and not rigid and 2) the rear of a table saw's spins in a circular motion upward and toward the operator. Because the rear of a table saw blade spins upwards a narrow strip of foam can roll up on itself and then bind between the spinning blade and the table saw's fence. This doesn't happen with wood because wood is rigid, however this is very similar to the kind of scenario that can happen with wood which causes the vast majority of kickbacks. When cutting wood with internal stresses, the stresses are relieved by the cut and the wood bends binding between the saw blade's upward-spinning rear edge and the fence and the wood kicks upwards toward the operator. The same kind of thing will happen with a narrow flexible strip of foam.

There's no way to avoid this problem on a table saw when ripping soft flexible materials and using the table saw's fence, it's a matter of WHEN it will kick back, not if it will kick back.

By contrast, the cutting action of a band saw is always downward and directly opposed by the support of the bandsaw's table. This scenario is infinitely safer with soft compliant materials (just as it is with wood). You can rip a very thin slice of foam on a bandsaw. In fact, a bandsaw's cutting action is so much safer compared to a table saw's cutting action that you can actually let go of your workpiece, mid-cut on a bandsaw, and walk away from it. When you come back later it will be sitting just where you left it. (Of course, I'm not recommending you actually try what I describe).

If you wanted to CROSSCUT, not rip, a narrow slice from the end of a block of foam to make a trim ring, you could try to crosscut on the table saw if you used a sliding table with a fence to support the foam while pushing it along. The key understanding here is that you are NOT using the table saw's fence to set the length of each piece you want to cut. When you cut the slice off the end of the block the slice can move or fall away from the rear half of the table saw blade where it is spinning upwards out of the table towards the operator.

On some table saws, you can slide your fence rearward or install a shorter auxiliary fence and use that to set the length of repetitive cuts. You might also clamp a short piece of wood to the fence to create a similar effect. The idea here is that the rear most end of the fence ends well before the start of the cut. At the start of the operation you slide the foam to the fence and then as you begin pushing the material forward the fence ends so there is open space to the right of the block of foam. Continuing pushing forward past the edge some distance you start the cut and complete it. Since the piece you cut off doesn't touch the fence it can't be bound between the blade and fence. I have, and use, a short auxiliary fence dedicated for just this kind of repetitive crosscutting and it works very safely. However, even with this huge improvement to safety, it's still no ware as safe as making the same cut on a bandsaw.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 10:46AM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster