I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB IM6 line/lure ratings
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 08:48PM

Originally posted in response to an older thread, but no response. Strangely a search for IM6 turned up 0 results. In any case it is in regard to the markings of the CRB IM6 blanks. Form example I would not fish 10 lb line on the rod rated for 6-10lbs. Anyways the rest is in the message:

Am looking to get one of these built for myself to replace a Berkley rod that came with an Abu reel combo. I experimented on the rod with guide removal, painting, etc.

I made a 601L setup for my daughter, and it feels super lightweight...like trout/panfish. It's listed as 6-10 lbs and 3/8-1/2 oz lure. To be honest, I wouldn't cast out more than 1/4 oz lure, if that. And I went with 4 lb line with a 1000 size Okuma reel. Feels like a solid lake trout/crappie setup. I just don't think it would do to put more on with the power she gets from this rod.

The problem with these is there is great disparity between the sizes and specs. For example, when it comes to line class listings, a 6' L is 6-10 whereas a 7' L is 8-12. A 6' M is 10-15 and a 7' M is 14-18. They have no light 6'6", only medium, with 14-18 lbs listed.

So the reel is a 2000 sized Abu spinner with 8lb mono on it. I know I want something heavier than what I made my daughter, but 14-18 seems a little excessive for this reel. But at the same time, I think they are a little liberal with their specs

Can anyone help me with choosing a size? I want a 6'6" preferably, but will go to a 7' L if there is really that big of a difference in the 6' L and 7' L.

Crap I hope this wasn't too confusing...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB IM6 line/lure ratings
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 09:23PM

I had one @#$%& of a time but this is the only thing I THINK I found Thought they had more offerings then what I found ???
Yes I do like the OLD SITE better !!!! You may be better with the MHX crappy blanks
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 09:27PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 10:15PM

BIll, I was talking about searching this forum, but I agree that the new site is way less user friendly. I liked being able to go to a manufacturer and get their similar rod models in a nice organized list.

These are the ones I was talking about: [www.mudhole.com]
Sort by price to get the blanks only, without the kits.

Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 10:21PM

Have you had bad experiences with the MHX blanks in the past?

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had one @#$%& of a time but this is the only
> thing I THINK I found Thought they had more
> offerings then what I found ???
> Yes I do like the OLD SITE better !!!! You may be
> better with the MHX crappy blanks
> [www.mudhole.com]
> er/Value-E-Glass-Blanks/application/Crappie--AND--
> Panfish/length/6'6%22/rod-power/Light

Date: November 09, 2015 10:34PM

No, I love MHX blanks, but I'm trying to keep it cheap, as I'm about to build a heavy salt conventional setup as well as another rod for my daughter. I do most of my fishing in the salt, so I don't want to put a lot into a freshwater rod.

I've read good things about the blanks, but they seem to be a little off with their ratings. Compare these to the GBC blanks which are about the same specs, but the 7' M rated for 8-15 lbs line casts a 1/4 - 1/2 oz lure...which makes way more sense than the CRB of the same line rating, which recommends a 1/2 - 1 oz lure.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2015 06:17AM

call mudhole and talk to them. they have always been very helpful and can steer you toward what you are looking for

Date: November 10, 2015 07:32AM

Yeah I guess that's always an option!

Date: November 10, 2015 06:16PM

So talked to MudHole today and they confirmed that the blanks are grossly overrated. Not bad quality for an inexpensive blank, but the claimed line and lure ratings are a bit off. He estimated the 7' M to be 10-15 lbs class and up to 3/4 oz lure, whereas it is marketed as a 14-18 lb 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz lure.

So big takeaway, if you decide to build one of these, buy more than what you need to compensate for the exaggerated ratings.

Hope this can help someone!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 10, 2015 07:50PM

Randy
I have built rods on the 601L, 701L, 701M, and 701H and agree that the line/lure ratings on the "L" models seem off. I also think the action ratings on the "L" models are actually a little slower than listed.The 701L would be a good choice for 8# line. I have one on the bench now being built for a 2500 size reel and 8# mono line for smallmouth bass / light largemouth bass fishing. I think this line of blanks is a very good choice for an inexpensive build and I will use them again. I have not built a 661M and can't comment on that one.
Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster