I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weave Thread Alignment
Posted by: Lyle Kvarnlov (---.far.ideaone.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 04:46PM

New to weaving - just purchased a Doc Ski weaving jig and attempted my first try at basic letters. Couple of questions for those in the know !
1) When I put my first 20 threads on, they appeared to be misaligned with the center of the rod. I have the weaving jigs aligned but the threads are angled when I put them in the slots on the jig.
2) How many threads do most folks typically use when weaving initials. Tried 7 threads - looked pretty small. Any thoughts on that?

thanks for everyone's input. Love the hobby but need to get some time and practice under my belt.

Lyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weave Thread Alignment
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2015 07:34PM

1) I mostly use an 80 thread loom, but do weaves that require 50-60 threads...I use dot stickys on the plastic base to renumber the slots, in order to have pretty close to the same # of threads top and bottom.
2) If you think they're too small, try a larger pattern. Send me your email, and I'll send a link to a PDF w/ alphabet using ~14-16 threads

Posted by: Lyle Kvarnlov (---.mncable.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 08:37PM

Thank you. email sent. thanks again

Lyle

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.sub-70-211-135.myvzw.com)
Date: November 10, 2015 11:57AM

40 threads or more should give you nice sized letters. The more detail you want, the more threads and the larger the finished weave will be. You can make a larger weave smaller by using smaller thread. For example if you use "C" over "D" you will have a larger letter than if you use "A" over "C". If the blank is really small in diameter you can use Madeira Polyneon #60 or #75 over #40 Polyneon. The pattern center thread should be located in the center of the jig. so a 40 thread letter would have thread number 20 located in the slot closest to the centerline of the jig. You will have to renumber the jig each time the center thread number changes. As stated above the little sticky dots work well. You might use different colors say Red for 10, 20,30 etc. and Blue for 5, 15, 25 etc. makes it easier to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2015 11:59AM by Jim Upton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster