I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CF Handle as Extension
Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 02, 2015 10:09PM

I've worked with foam and carbon fiber tubing and love it, but have no experience with extensions. The thought crossed my mind of possibly using a CF handle itself as an extension (Tennessee handle type). I mostly work with heavy duty eglass blanks where a huge amount of weight is located in the butt. Really, once the blank "shuts off", all that's needed is a strong rigid structure through the handle. Nothing new. Graphiters are a good example, where a 7' 270 takes 4 ounces off the eglass version.

I'm hoping that those with more experience on extensions might chime in. My initial thought was to fit the blank several inches into thin wall (.035) aluminum tube and pour the foam/carbon grip over that, so that the aluminum could prevent any gouging in the foam. I also found some good .250 OD carbon fiber tubing with an attractive weight, though it certainly wouldn't be strong enough by itself to hold. Then there's the AFTCO ferrule and nut for a unibutt setup and possibly a few inches of threaded aluminum tubing. Lots of possibilities. The idea being similar to a lot of blanks out there--use a lighter/stiffer material where the blank's already stopped flexing anyway. Since the CF/Permagloss shell is more or less CF tubing, might as well have it do double duty. BTW, I've read Tom's article, but this is outside its scope. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CF Handle as Extension
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2015 08:45AM

Not sure I understand what you're proposing. The foam and carbon skin won't give you any strength - they rely on the tube they're built on for that. If the extension that you're using is up to the task, then you can put anything you want on the extension, including foam and carbon skin. But the method for making these grips doesn't turn them into tubing or anything approaching it. The carbon skin is just that - a very thin skin to protect the outside of the foam. It doesn't form nor act as a tube of any merit.

There is an article in the library on extending rod blanks that explains the various scenarios that tend to work well.

Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2015 04:16PM

A carbon sleeve over foam can be just as strong as a CF hollow tube. Carbon sleeve when used correctly has very good compression strength. Not sure how either would work as an extension though.

Date: November 03, 2015 05:51PM

You'd have to use a lot of it, much more than a thin skin. And the foam itself, which would be the core of the tube, would have to be skinned or strengthened on the inside where it fits over the rod blank butt. Or, a much higher density foam would have to be used.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 03, 2015 06:11PM

Thank you both. As usual, straight to the answer requested, Tom. Did I mention how much I missed being away?

As a ballpark, what thickness would you lean toward for an aluminum tubing extension on salt rods in the 15-40 range, using 6061 with an ID of .75?

You should really do more videos, Tom. You're good at it--straight to what people want to see and need to hear, as always. I think you and I are about the same age. I'm sure you remember the Curt Gowdy shows growing up. I know he got a bit flaky in his latter years, but he was doing some good stuff when we were whippersnappers. I'm just sayin'--sports writer (specializing in rods), fishing nut, rod building celebrity. We haven't had a Curt in a while.

"And now with your host, Rodmaster Kirkman..."

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Date: November 03, 2015 08:21PM

I appreciate the comments but not sure I'm cut out for it. I do plan to add more videos, however, as that seems to be the coming trend.

For any type of heavier power rod I'd want to use aluminum tubes with a wall thickness of at least 2.5mm and that would be the absolute least. Even then, the length of the extension would have to be taken into account - the longer the extension the greater wall thickness you'll need.

You can always fall back on carbon or glass tube extensions and either of these will often get you by at less weight than an aluminum tube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster