I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

touch-up painting
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 02, 2015 10:40AM

I am rebuilding an older, pumpkin - colored glass surf blank and would like to paint over/blend in scratches and bare spots rather than stripping, prepping , and repainting the entire blank. What is the best way to go about finding a close match in paint color?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: touch-up painting
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2015 10:56AM

Dupli-Color auto touch-up paint displays might help. But trying to match paint, particularly older paint isn't going to be easy, depending on how close a match you feel you need.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2015 11:05AM

If the paint is adhering to the blank well just prep it and paint Then a couple of coats of clear to protect it
That is if it is not pealing or falling off

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 11:06AM by bill boettcher.

Date: November 02, 2015 02:49PM

Problem is I have never seen a car painted in a pumpkin-orange color, or even close. I don't need an exact match, but I think it's possible to bounce light off a monochrome object and determine the precise wavelengths of the light being reflected. It's more profitable to mix and sell a gallon of paint instead of a half-pint, but it may yet be impossible to determine the final color of paint before it dries.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2015 03:18PM

You'd be surprised at the colors they have available.

Date: November 02, 2015 03:27PM

You have several ways this may work
Check the Internet Hugger Orange Chrysler I think ?? If you can get a small container of it Here is a cheep sprayer that I have tried Material HAS TO BE THIN !! Has very low air pressure But can be made to work
[www.homedepot.com]

Unless you can find it in a Spray can from Dupli Color Auto paints [duplicolor.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 03:30PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2015 08:05PM

Plenty of sources for Pumpkin Orange spray paint, if this is what you want:

[www.google.com]

However, if the blank is an older blank, I think that I would mask off the guides and wraps, scuff up the current paint and repaint the entire blank. As long as you scuff the previous surface, the new paint should adhere just fine.

Then you would have a uniform color for the entire rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: November 04, 2015 08:35AM

Krylon has color charts on line, lots of oranges, but they don't give RGB values. Rust-Oleum does. Here's a long shot: take a photo in daylight of the blank, up really close, to capture the true color. View the photo in a graphics program, click on the color with the "eyedropper" tool to get its RGB value. See if Rust-Oleum has a paint close to that value. The Achilles heel: Your monitor or camera may not represent the true color properly.

[www.homedepot.com]

If I were doing what you are trying to do, I would do it as Roger suggests with one of the auto touch-up spray paints. Krylon has the colors, but are the flexible enough? I think auto paints are, but could use an expert in using them to chime in.

Date: November 04, 2015 06:07PM

Michael: I agree with Roger and you. Think I'll mask, scuff up, and spray - probably the easiest course in the long run. Thanks for the suggestions.

Date: November 04, 2015 06:31PM

If you want to do a Class Rod
Take the guides off Sand it so it is smooth Repaint and then re-wrap the guides

It will look a lot nicer then painting with the guides on and masking them And you will probably see defects in it you will not like ???

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster