I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX Blank for Gotchya Plug
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2015 09:25PM

Hey guys so I am looking for the right blank for throwing a Gotchya Plug off a pier. I want a 2 piece one. I plan to use MIcrowave Guides, but other than that, I am not sure really what to look into, to work best for this application. I do not know the exact weight of the plug, but it will be used for the medium size if that makes since, not the very small plug. The most commonly used one from what I have seen. Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX Blank for Gotchya Plug
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2015 10:17AM

Cameron -- We are definately going to need more info. How long of rod? What pound test line is going to be used? I did a Google Search for the Gotcha Lure and there are many different sizes, so info for which size and weight is also going to be needed.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2015 10:55AM

Cameron-The lure weight of the gotcha plug that you describe is 7/8oz. Like Bob said if you could supply a little more info will help. I asked the same question about 3 years ago and the Lamiglas MB 84 1E was highly recommended and that is what i built on. I like the MHX blanks also but if you give a little more info Bob could help you. The blank i suggested is 1 piece.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2015 11:17AM

Thanks guys, so then the 7/8oz plug is what I will be using. I do not do this type of fishing alot, so I was not sure what the optimal length is. Right now I use a 7ft medium spinning rod. The plug is cast underhand off of the pier and then twitched back to the pier. Line is 12-15lb mono with a 30lb leader to help avoid bite offs.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2015 11:56AM

For a 2 pc model, I would take a good look at the L904-2-MHX. Very versatile rod that you will be able to use for many saltwater applications.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2015 08:43AM

Most people cast out and then put the rod tip down(inverted) working the plug back jerking. I would recommend 7ft, but 6" either way is not a big deal. Popping rods are very versatile and a good option, but a spin/jig would also work fine. If you can use a 1pc rod then do so. With that type of fishing the rod is mostly inverted and you could run the chance of a 2pc coming apart

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 04:34PM

Hello Cameron.

I'm with John about a 1 pc. rod, I have seen many people watch their tip slide down to their plug.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 31, 2015 04:40PM

Cameron you need to take a look at the MHX P904-2 I think you will like this rod if your fishing for Spanish, blues, trout from the pier or surf. the rod may not look to be heavy enough but it is . I throw up to 1 oz with mine no problem and if your casting from under the pier it my work for 2oz . I like this rod for just what your talking about.
Chris Linville

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (172.56.26.---)
Date: November 03, 2015 03:39AM

I built a black hole 701L exclusively for gotcha plugging that I use to commercial fish long periods with and primarily throw 7/8oz. I get the distance I need with 7ft, but have used rods up to 8ft before. Build weight was a primary factor for me so length suffered to min lengtg and I prefer a fast to extra fast actioned rod so I move the jig with less rod movement. Some guys use more moderate rods. For a fast gotcha retrieve slower actioned rods don't work for me, because the rod doesn't recover in time for the next stroke or causes more effort than desired to bounce the jig.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster