I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat hoods too wide?
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.tas.adsl.internode.on.net)
Date: October 25, 2015 06:21PM

G'day All,

I have a customer who prefers the look of aluminium reel seats on his light spin rods and seems to dislike graphite seats, partly because of looks and partly because in his experience the locking nut on graphite seats seem to loosen with use necessitating constantly tightening it.

I recently built a spinning rod for him and used the Pacbay slim channel lock aluminium seat. Unfortunately this seat, with his choice of reel (a Daiwa Caldia 3000), is also giving problems. The hoods on this seat are quite wide and high, which means that with the Daiwa installed there is a fair bit of wobble of the reel in the seat. I tried a Penn Slammer in this seat and as it has a wider and higher reel foot, it sits nicely in the channel and is held very firmly by the hoods.

Can anyone suggest an aluminium reel seat that will work with the Daiwa reel? The only thought I had would be to try the ALPS triangle seats in the smaller sizes like 14 or 16. Is anyone currently using these seats with smallish spin reels and can they give some feedback? This rod is not an ultralight so a little more weight is not going to matter. The rod is 7', 8-14lb, 1/4 - 5/8oz and used for inshore saltwater applications.

I have just noticed that Fuji have introduced a backlock nut for the new TVS seat. This may also solve the problem with undoing of the nuts, if not aesthetically, for my client.

Any help or comments is, as always, very much appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat hoods too wide?
Posted by: Arnot Hulth (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 25, 2015 08:01PM

I started putting my reel seats on upside down so that they would down lock because I too would have issues with them loosening during use. It solved that problem for me, now they tighten with use. I don't have any advice on them being too wide however, sorry.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2015 08:38PM

Take a look at the Alps triangle seats.
Ive used them on salmon trolling rods, light long line trolling for trout, and some casting rods,
Thay work great and never come loose ever,
and top of the line.

Curt

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2015 08:43PM

Stick a small pad of rubber gasket material to the inside of the hoods. The reel seats on lower end factory rods can have seats that loosen, haven't ever had a Fuji or any other quality seats loosen, some are 20+ years old with no problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2015 09:02PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 08:26AM

Fuji also has a locking nut that can be added to there seats
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 09:34AM

The BACKSTOP™ Locking system from Fuji offers a wide variety of products that totally eliminate hood loosening and they do it with a floating jam nut that won't tighten or loosen when snugged to the hood nut. BACKSTOP™ is available for new TVS and PTS seats in both standard and thread covering models and their are also models for standard seats in sizes 16, 17, 18, 20, 22 and 24. The 2016 catalog is now available for download at [www.anglersresource.net], left hand column toward the bottom. Click "Catalog".

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 11:24AM

Low-tech, low-cost fix is a half or full wrap of rubber electrical splicing tape over or around the ends of the reel feet. The fix will be invisible and the reel hood will not loosen.

Date: October 26, 2015 05:14PM

Thanks for the input Guys,

I reckon I'll give the ALPS triangles a go (thanks Curtis) otherwise it might be back to graphite seats with locking nuts.

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 08:45PM

G'day Jason I have a Caldia 3000 on a rod of mine with an Alps Tri seat & never had a moments problem I set all my own rods up in a downlocking position simply because of the problems that your customer is experiencing .I spent a large part of my life employed in an industry that had a lot of machines that vibrated & that is why I set my rods up the way I do .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: October 27, 2015 08:47PM

G'day Baz,

Thanks for that. Any idea what size seat you used? A 14 or a 16 maybe?

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 06:37AM

G'Day Jason It is a 16 mm I made it about 4yrs ago .My son has pulled some big fish with it over the years & it's always the rod he pinches when I'm not looking .He really likes the combination.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 28, 2015 08:16AM

G'day Barry,

Thanks for that. You are a champ!

Cheers

Jason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster