I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CB66M or CB66MH
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2015 10:55AM

Hey guys I have a cranking rod I built on the CB70M a few years back and I absolutely love the rod. I am in the middle of building a few rods for some friends in a local bass club. One guy wants a parabolic action on a moderate blank for jerkbaits and cranks around docks. Never thought of using this blank for jerks or topwaters. Was concerned about the action and recovery of the blank. Though I think the CB66MH has a mod-fast action... Has anyone used this blank? The MH rating isn't overpowering I assume...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CB66M or CB66MH
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2015 12:49PM

Hand your friends your rod and have them use it on a practice day, than work from the info they give you.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2015 02:18PM

Good suggestion from Spencer.
Mod-fast blank? personally would be my first choice for crank baits.
But absolute last choice for jerk baits.
I would opt for med power in fast to extra fast to facilitate the action I want the jerk bait to exhibit in the water.

Date: October 25, 2015 10:09PM

Weird cause most of the more popular jerkbait rods are medium power with moderate fast actions. While I get the idea behind a faster action blank with regards to recovery, wouldn't a rod with a moderate fast parabolic type action make for better hookups... Also like the idea of not ripping the bait 12 inches every snap, figure the moderate fast would move the bait less in distance... Understand both sides

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2015 10:32PM

"most of the more popular jerkbait rods are medium power with moderate fast actions."
Who told you that?

a more parabolic rod will flex deeper into the blank causing a longer recovery arch. thus moving the bait further then a faster blank that that doesn't flex as deeply into the blank.

"wouldn't a rod with a moderate fast parabolic type action make for better hookups"?
maybe? but that has not been my experience.
I find that a blank that allows the bait to perform as desired provokes more strikes. thus improving my hook-up and catch ratio

Date: October 26, 2015 08:05AM

Good info!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 03:10PM

The fish will have the last word on this but a softer rod (tip or butt or both) will limit the snappy "dart" that sometimes triggers a strike. You can soften the "dart" on a fast or moderate tip with some backbone by changing your retrieve, but you can't stiffen a softer tip for more snap. it will always move the lure further with less "pop". IMO.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 03:14PM

The fish will have the last word on this but a softer rod (tip or butt or both) will limit the snappy "dart" that sometimes triggers a strike. You can soften the "dart" on a fast or moderate tip with some backbone by changing your retrieve, but you can't stiffen a softer tip for more snap. it will always move the lure further with less "pop". IMO.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2015 08:28AM

Jay .... to answer the question has anyone used the CB66MH blank. I have, and I actually had the same thing in mind that you mentioned. A jerkbait / crankbait rod. I thought since the blank was rated as medium heavy power, that it would have a tip stiff enough to work a jerkbait.

It doesn't.

It just doesn't have the punch you need to work a jerkbait properly in a lot of situations. Using braided line would help you gain some pop, but still ..... it's not a good choice for working a jerkbait when you need that wild darting action to trigger bites. As I also wanted to use the rod to throw squarebills into wood cover, I was concerned with casting accuracy so I made the rod I built 6' long. Taking 6" off the butt didn't seem to hurt the power all that much, and it works great for throwing squarebills into wood. It also makes a surprisingly good buzzbait rod, and even though I haven't tried it yet .... I bet it makes a good topwater popper rod as well.

As most everyone has said ... a good jerkbait rod has a fast action with some bend into the mid section of the blank to help with keeping fish on treble hooks buttoned up. Fast action, medium, or even medium light power. I built what I think is real close to being a perfect jerkbait rod. Once again I built a 6' rod from a 6'6" blank. I used a medium power, fast action blank, and took 6" off the butt.

The tip is stiff enough to get a lively darting action, sensitive enough to feel the oft times subtle tick on the pause bite you get with a suspending jerkbait, and has the bend into the mid section and slightly slower action that helps keep fish hooked on trebles, buttoned up

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.sub-70-209-144.myvzw.com)
Date: November 13, 2015 10:11AM

What blank did u build off of?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2015 07:16AM

Sorry Jay, I lost track of this thread. I ended up building my jerkbait rod on a MHX SJ783. It's a 3/16 - 5/8 oz rated blank with a fast action. While the 3/16 oz low lure weight may make it seem like the tip is pretty soft, and depending on what baits you plan on throwing with it, it may be. The biggest bait I throw with mine is a 100 Pointer, and it's a little bit light for that size bait.

It works nicely for the more slender Pointers and baits like 4" X Raps and 4 1/2" Rouges.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster