I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Wave casting guide set
Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.dhcp.crcy.nv.charter.com)
Date: October 19, 2015 04:42PM

Has anyone considered use the Micro Wave casting guide set in a spiral configuration. It looks to me like the butt guide would be a solution to the reel line side stacking problem.
Would like an opinion before I order a couple sets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Wave casting guide set
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2015 06:13PM

will work just like any other spiral wrap, but will not make a difference if you are having a "line stacking problem". For rods rods having a line stacking problem because of not be set up properly or due to extra wide spools.

The problem is occurred on the retrieve, not the cast. And as such the larger part of the guide aft of the smaller part has not effect on the line when it is being retrieved through the smaller restricted ring first.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: October 20, 2015 07:53AM

I have set up a casting rod as a spiral wrap with this guide set. Take your time spacing the guides and transitioning to the bottom and it will work well.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2015 12:54PM

Larry,

If reel stacking of the line is a concern, (deep diving crankbaits, etc), just offset the butt guide, (opposite direction of the spiral), such that the inside edge of the ring in on the centerline of the rod. This will eliminate the line stacking problem and should not affect the casting distance of the rod.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2015 09:39AM

I personally have built around 50 casting rods using the MIcroWaves in a spiral wrap.... they work great.

I feel with the stripper guide ring location being a little higher off the blank it helps to get the line going around blank a little better.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 25, 2015 10:50PM

Has anyone considered that the advantage of spiral was discovered when we were using casting running guides of sizes 10's and 12's? But now we are using casting guides generally in the micro to 5mm range? The advantage of spiral is to eliminate torque caused by the guides above the blank. How much torque is there when the guides are low micros or low 5's? In my opinion, not a heck of a lot. Not that a little deviation from a straight line is important in casting sets, since the reel level wind "guide" makes a big deviation, but what can be straighter than a line from the level wind guide to the tip right along the top of the blank? I just don't see any justification for spiral any more.

OK, folks, tear me apart.

Posted by: John Allgood (216.201.245.---)
Date: October 26, 2015 01:29PM

Small guide size does nothing to eliminate torque when they are placed on the top of the rod. Even though the guides are smaller, they still want to move to the bottom of the rod. That problem is only eliminated by placing the guides (small or large) on the bottom or under side of the rod. Torque increases with load (fish size). If a 5 pound fish is large for you, then torque is minimal. If you are expecting to catch 250 pound fish or bigger, torque becomes a huge force to reckon with. All the logic to spiral wrap a rod is still there. If it is YOUR rod and YOU want the guides on top or you just don't think it's logical, by all means put them where you want them.

Date: October 26, 2015 03:16PM

Micros don't eliminate torque entirely but they have to reduce it because they are so low, the lever arm is probably less than 1/3 of the old guide trains.l I am not talking about salt water rods, just bass rods for fresh water. I did not say they eliminate the torque, I said they reduce it. And I stand by that. As the torque is reduced the reason for doing spiral is reduced.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2015 06:46PM

If the torque on a bass rods does not bother you Build them with guides on top
But you are correct there is less with the smaller guides Now when you get into saltwater and very large fish larger guides more torque That is when they shine and are needed

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 28, 2015 09:07AM

Agree, Bill.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 03:19PM

Just another thought but having a thin tipped blank you will get a twist and bending at the tip Being thin maybe a cause for breakage With the spiral no twisting

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster