I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Latest build
Posted by: Will Cooper (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2015 06:20PM

Just finished my first spinning build. I kept it simple being my first one. I went with a High Modulus Carbon 7ft Liberty blank, Med Power, Fast Action, rated for 1/4-5/8oz. Opted for the split grip design and the Fuji SK2 reel seat. The guides i used are the Fuji KR Concept Alconite guides.

The idea behind this build is for a very light weight rod I can use for shore fishing and from the boat for all day casting.

The result is a rod thats light (2.8oz), fast, accurate, and deadly!

[i247.photobucket.com]

[i247.photobucket.com]

[i247.photobucket.com]

[i247.photobucket.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Latest build
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 18, 2015 07:24PM

Looks great Will, You have to love a light weight naked rod after a full day casting! I like to build the same way light weight for fit and function. Good Job My Man!!!

Date: October 18, 2015 07:33PM

Thanks Jay, Im happy with the way it came out

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: October 18, 2015 09:49PM

Looks good, Will. All the Liberty blanks that I've built so far have been well received, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Posted by: Will Cooper (---.parexel.com)
Date: October 19, 2015 07:50AM

This was my first build using the Liberty blank. I only had two minor complaints. One being that the weight was more than the specs stated. The spec said 1.6oz and it weighed in at 1.8oz (13% difference). The other issue was either the tip was slightly larger than specified, or the tip top was smaller than specified. The blank tip was the exact same size as the OD tip top, and not the same as the ID of the tip top. I had to sand the tip of the rod a little to get the tip top on there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 10:36AM by Will Cooper.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 10:12AM

Will,

You did a great job and you'll find that rod leaps into you hand just about every time you're wanting to use a spinning rod.

As for tip / tube size not matching, I would recommend you use a tip / tube gauge to check the tube size on the tip top and the tip size on the rod. A couple of years ago I ordered from Mudhole a ATC Tip Top with a size 4.0 tube. When I got it it would not fit. I contacted Mudhole and they when through all of the ATC tip tops in their 4.0 storage compartment and found tube sizes that varied from 3.5 to 4.3. They sent me, (at no additional charge), 3 different sized tip tops to make sure one would fit. The original tip top I received was too small and I definitely did not want to sand down a 4.0 tip to get a 3.5 - 3.8 tip top to fit...an accident waiting to happen. Mudhole could not have been more responsive and indicated they, at that time, were having problems with tube size on the tip top they had been receiving from ATC.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: October 19, 2015 10:39AM

I hope the sanding doesnt prove to be an issue. It was very minimal to get the tip tip on there.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2015 10:43AM

Do you have a tip top gauge? I have had that happen both ways..rod tip too big (bigger than listed size) and had a supplier send the wrong tube size. Kevin and the guys there at GetBit are usually pretty good about fitting a tip if you ask them to do so. It's definitely a pain to order the listed size and a size up everytime. Especially if you don't build a lot or you use lots of manufacturer guides. So I try to remember to ask the supplier if they offer the service. I know it's a little late for that advice, but maybe it'll save you the headache of sanding the tip a bunch or having to re-order and wait on a guide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 10:45AM by Jared Taylor.

Date: October 19, 2015 10:49AM

I will remember it for future builds. For this rod, i hope it doesnt create any issues. Only time, and fish, will tell.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 20, 2015 05:26PM

Will

Good work! I will look into doing one for myself.

Check out the Pac Bay minima 4 guides they are lighter than Alconites, and in my opinion hold up better than ceramic guides. I never had a problem with any type of luine.

God luck!

John

Date: October 20, 2015 05:31PM

Hi John, those are on my radar for my next build. I had already placed my order when i learned of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster