I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

light action baitcasting rod in 2pc?
Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: October 16, 2015 09:44PM

I have a customer who is wanting a 6'-6'6" rod to use with a finesse baitcasting reel throwing down to 1/16 total weight lures with 4# line. Here's the kicker... the guy is legally blind and his mode of travel is a scooter. So he has to have at least a 2 piece rod that he can break down to put in a rod tube and strap to his scooter. I'm thinking that something with a really fast tip would be best, but am I barking up the wrong tree? I was looking for something like a spin-jig rod or a dropshot rod but I'm having a time finding a fast or x-fast tip in that style of blank in a 2 piece configuration. So I've been considering the MHX S782-2, Phenix FX661-2, Rogue SP6632 and the St Croix 3S66LF2. Anyone out there have any experience building this type of rod? Also, would there be any reason not to build this up with a spiral wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: light action baitcasting rod in 2pc?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2015 01:33AM

He's really pushing the limits or rod and reel at that lure weight. St. Croix had been at it longer than anyone else with a great history of performance and durability.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: October 17, 2015 06:54AM

Spencer, agreed that it's pushing the limits of the combo. He's "hot rodding" his reel (upgraded bearings, spool, etc.) I don't know if a regular "spinning" rod blank would perform as well as a spin-jig or a dropshot blank. Just wondering who out there had built something similar and if I'm missing out on a 2 pc blank that might work better. Agree with you about St Croix's history.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 17, 2015 08:59AM

suggest something more "moderate" in action, and a "spinning" blank would be very appropriate.
We have a local Trout guide that uses a special Japanese Daiwa reel that has been modified to throw very light lurtes,
and we used Batson IP840 blanks for his rods.
Seems like the light power and softer action helped him load easier for the cast.
Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2015 09:29AM

Ron, I like the light powered popping rods a bunch and use them for crappie builds quite a bit here, but my problem is that I need a blank that is at least a 2 piece. Not sure how much I would screw up the action buying 2 blanks of a moderate tapered rod and making my own "travel rod" or just cutting the blank in half and using an aluminum ferrule. Not saying I wouldn't do it if I had to. But I'm thinking I'd probably be better off just buying a factory made 2 pc rod. You bring up a good point, though...he is an accomplished fly caster who is very capable of effectively changing his stroke to adjust for the rod and would be able to "load" his rod appropriately using a moderate blank.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 17, 2015 09:57AM

Hi Jared,
I see that.
What I was really trying to do is steer you to a more moderate action and light power,
no matter what brand.
Your 2 piece choices are somewhat limited.
We still have some of the Batson RX7 IS721F and IS781F.
Line 2-6#, lure 1/16-1/4 oz.
We also carry the RX6 version, which are ongoig models with the same specs.
They are "moderate" action.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Jared Taylor (107.77.89.---)
Date: October 18, 2015 07:10AM

Thank you Ron, that's why I love the forum.. All this knowledge wrapped up in one place. I wondered about a moderate action initially, and read that a faster tip might work a little better. I have built a few themed spin cast rods in UL and L powered rods and they performed well. Just wasn't sure if the "softer" blank would work as well on a baitcast rod. Always learning and trying to put out the best thing I can. Thanks again for the input.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 19, 2015 01:17AM

North Fork Composite also has a few 2pc blanks that would also do the job. Jaa

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2015 06:40PM

Thank you, Jay. Did see those and still wishing for a customer that is willing to fork out the extra dough on those NFC's. I have yet to build on one, but am looking forward to that day. I mentioned the NFC to him, but he's not a big fan of the Loomis tapers. (To each his own) appreciate the suggestion, sir.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster