I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

business insurance
Posted by: Richard Stradling (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 15, 2015 01:19PM

Hello
I'm looking to get a business started building rods (something to cure my tinker bug and add to my fervor for fishing) and would like any lessons learned about small business insurance or the likes from the experienced crowd. All lessons learned are welcome. I'm trying to keep from starting over in the school of hard knocks!

V/r
Richard Stradling
diverguy1979@yahoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: business insurance
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2015 04:18PM

Product liability is always a good idea, but rarely affordable for the small operation custom rod builder. Here's what I can tell you - generally if the finished rod contains the decal or screen printed name of the blank maker (same with the components used) then the manufacturer of the blank and related components is on the hook for any damages incurred due to failure of that part. And most manufacturers do carry product liability.

On the other hand, if you remove or do not apply the manufacturer's decal and provide your own, say, "Steve's Custom Crafted Rods" or whatever, then "Steve" is the one liable for any damages a customer might suffer from failure of the rod. Although this is not always the case depending on the laws in your state and the ability of your attorney. Sometimes the liability still falls on the actual manufacturer of the failed part, but not always.

Obviously you can get sued for anything, but generally someone will have to prove some type of loss (physical, financial, etc.) in order to get an attorney to take the case, not to mention the case being lucrative enough for an attorney to bother to begin with. And it's not inexpensive to sue someone. Unless there is a possibility of a decent award, most attorneys will require payment up front - few will work on a contingency basis if the eventual award is likely going to be small potatoes.

Then again, I know a custom lure maker who was sued because according to the claim, "the hooks used on the lure were too sharp." That's right, somebody put a hook in their hand and sued the lure builder for using hooks that were "too sharp." The lure builder won the case but still spent a few thousand to have it resolved. Nutty stuff like this does occasionally happen.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2015 04:45PM

If starting a small business; have you done your homework in incorporating or LLC?

Posted by: Richard Stradling (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2015 06:34PM

Mike,
I haven't dug into the details on that yet. With that being said I've danced around the subject of starting a small business before and believe myself to have laimens understanding of the two. I do need to dig into it and fully understand whats what and who's who in the zoo.

Posted by: Richard Stradling (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2015 06:51PM

thank you Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster