I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My first rod some small wavies
Posted by: Jose Sanchez (---.mia.fl.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 14, 2015 12:56AM

So i just finished putting the finish on the wraps about 6 hours ago and i have looked at it and it looks with minor wavy and like very tiny pimples is there a way to kinda level the epoxy out am using threadmaster high build at 16 rpm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My first rod some small wavies
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2015 10:31AM

Sometimes the best thing to do, is to just use it unless it really bothers you.

However,if you want to work on it, you can scuff the finish just a bit and then put an additional thin coat on the finish to level it and to fill the holes.

Good luck

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-1.myvzw.com)
Date: October 14, 2015 11:04AM

From your description, to me, wavy = too much finish applied or worked with it too long. Tiny pimples sound like thread fuzzies sticking up. Both easy fixes. The fuzzies can be cut off with a sharp razor once the finish is fully cured. If the waves are too bad, I'd file them down with a small flat file and recoat.

Date: October 14, 2015 07:47PM

i tried to sand it down and have put a very thin coat but i still manage to get some lumps. any tips?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2015 07:48PM

Sand it again and try again.

You may have to do it several times to clean it all up.

Good luck

Date: October 14, 2015 11:03PM

how far should i sand it down more and should i use lite build or stick to high build?

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-70-197-161.myvzw.com)
Date: October 15, 2015 12:18PM

I can tell you there is a learning curve going from using Flexcoat lite to the Threadmaster high build. It will set up twice as fast and does not release bubbles as easily. I have not mastered using it as well but do know now that you have to make small batches and work very quickly.If I did my wraps again I would of used the lite build to do a first coat to soak into the threads then go with a light coat of the high build the next day.Or try what Billy Vivona uses by mixing Treadmaster high with Pro-kote to get an epoxy that does not setup as fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 12:20PM by David Miller.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2015 01:29AM

Hello,

Are you using a sanding block to evenly knock down the high spots?

As for how far to sand, if you do a small wrap of thread on the same rod and compare it's height to the recently finished guide wraps, that should give you some idea of how much epoxy you can safely sand away before hitting the thread.

Sometimes it's helpful to add a second coat of epoxy over the wavy first coat before sanding. This builds up the epoxy layer, allowing more room for error especially if the first coat is a bit thin in some spots.

-chad

Date: October 16, 2015 02:15PM

just using my hand no sandblock. Already got it sanded added a light coat sanded again and another light coat and now just waiting to see how it came out so far its very leveled.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster