I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flo green thread,problems
Posted by: Gerald S Brydalski (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2015 10:36AM

Tying for a customer using pro wrap flo green and flo orange a thread. No matter how tite I pack this thread, I see dark color behind thread. Should I have used a white base first or what is the solution??? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flo green thread,problems
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: October 12, 2015 11:04AM

White paint base sounds reasonable, you didn't mention whether you gave the wrap a good burnish.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 11:12AM

A white paint base makes yellow and, I suspect, light green and light orange "pop."

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 11:15AM

Did you use CP Even with NCP bright colors it helps Thicker thread also helps There D is not as thick as old school

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2015 11:19AM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 12, 2015 11:42AM

I did burnish and wrap very titely. Used cp . been building long time but never used these colors before.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 12:52PM

Just use orange paint on the blank before wrapping.

When doing ice rods, I spray all of the tips with fl orange for better tip visibility. Then I use NCP florescent orange thread with no issue at all.

For guides, just tape off the area of the wrap and use the pain sprayer to do a quick coat with paint and you will be good to go.

Be safe

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2015 05:08PM

Hello,

I always paint the blank white if wrapping neons.

As mentioned, it really helps.

-chad

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 06:42PM

Light colored neon will look dingy on a dark blank. Best to put a light paint under it if you want the brilliance of the neon.

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 09:10PM

Even when painting fluorescent colors a light colored base is used. Usually white.

Date: October 12, 2015 10:51PM

Any type of paint??water based or paint like testors. Will finish bother paint . thanks for all advice, first time with neon colors. sprayed or brushed?

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 11:54PM

Hello,

I use either Krylon Fusion/Krylon Supermaxx, Rustoleum Universal, or Rustoleum Painter's Touch in semi-gloss white.

All are rattle-can type paints developed for use on plastic and hold up fine to the flexing of a rod blank.

I mark the beginning and end of where the wrap will be, tape off the blank, then proceed to dull the finish within the taped-off area w/a scotchbrite pad or similar.

After the dust is blown off, two to three very thin coats of paint are applied and the masking tape removed after a few hours drying time.

I will wait at least a week or more for the paint to fully cure, then wrap and finish as usual. Have had no problems with the above-mentioned paints.

-chad

p.s.

The masking tape is only used to help with keeping lines straight during painting and de-glossing. To mask off the rest of the blank from overspray, I use newspaper wrapped around and taped in place. It's also a good idea to test whatever masking tape you use on the blank to make sure it won't harm the finish when removed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 12:20AM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2015 10:26AM

Look for a pep boys or any auto parts that carries Dupli Color paints These are auto paint and are dry overnight You would not have to wate a week

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: October 13, 2015 12:16PM

In addition to white undercoats, you can also use silver which has a slightly different effect.

Date: October 13, 2015 01:31PM

Thanks all ,much appreciated

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster