I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

custom color guides
Posted by: Rob Warren (---.east.dsl.telkomsa.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 09:55AM

Had a request from a client to use custom color guides (metallic blue in this case) on a spinning rod I am doing for him.So I played around with some recovered guides and paint.Best result so far is suspending an old torzite in a mild solution of acid rinsing with fresh water and coating with single pack spray paint.I then cleaned the insert with thinners (not easy) and it looks ok. However I do believe there will be no levity doing it like this.
Any idea`s guy`s?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: custom color guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2015 10:05AM

Powder painting might be your best bet, but consumer applied coatings will be hard pressed to provide the same level of durability and longevity as the factory applied coatings and depositions.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 11:29AM

Have never seen metallic blue guide frames, but Alps, American Tackle, and PAC Bay all offer guides with blue PVD coated zirconia rings. This may be your best option. Painting guides just does not work, even baked on powder paint does not hold up very well. The blue pvd coated rings look good and are very durable. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 11:35AM

I would tell him it is better to get what is made buy suppliers and not the mudhole freshwater colored guides no durabillity This way you can replace if some thing happens

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 12:14PM

My first thought on this would be to talk to a local gun smith or call one of the big suppliers that sell gun smith products and talk to one of their Customer service people.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2015 05:44PM

Mud Hole at one time offered (if I remember correctly) green , red, and purple framed guides not sure about blue.

If they don't make blue. Could ask client if he would except purple guides with blue or metallic blue thread color combination would look really good.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 06:14PM

Steve
Yes they have several guide colors -- But --- I have read posts that they are not very durable and only for freswater rods The poster spock of Corzite guides ?? ya want to do something to a guide of that price and quality I think not When the paint comes off and then he comes back ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 12, 2015 06:18PM

We have Batson Lt Tich or Black frame 1 ft guides with the dark Blue Zirconia rings.
The Blue really stands out against the Black of the frames, and the Lt Tich looks like higher end jewelry.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]
Feel welcome to give us a holler,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 13, 2015 10:16AM

"OLD" TORZITE®??????

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 13, 2015 05:53PM

Good advice from Bill B. Going with anything except factory blues will cause a lot of work/time/uncertainty/possible unreliability, big can of worms.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 13, 2015 06:11PM

There used to be a guy that offered colored guides, not sure if he's still in business. I believe I saw him posting on the nerbs FB page...

Jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster