I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

30# class trolling rod blank suggestions
Posted by: casey weires (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2015 09:46PM

I am going to be building a new set of trolling rods for my new boat. Got a grey hull. TLD 30 2 speeds and 50s. Looking for a good all around 30 class blank that I will be dolphin, wahoo and yellowfin fishing with. Also color option/suggestions for blank with a grey hull. Just Looking to do Cork fore grips about 8" long and Slick butts. Any Suggestions? Looking to go double roller for first guide and a roller tip. All other are ring guides prob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 30# class trolling rod blank suggestions
Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 25, 2015 01:15PM

Hi Casey,
We have a plethora of blanks and components to fit your needs.
Here is a start: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
Need components? [www.alpsforecast.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 25, 2015 01:15PM

Hi Casey,
We have a plethora of blanks and components to fit your needs.
Here is a start: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
Need components? [www.alpsforecast.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 25, 2015 05:41PM

Hi Casey,
I'll add on to Ryan's post by suggesting the blanks below as well as including the example build below that. Enjoy your build.

FSU56H-GB
RT6350-GB
TS66MH-GB
RCTB60H-CG

Component Part Number Part Description

Rod Blank Model # FSU56H-GB 5'6" 1 pc. 30-50 Hvy Saltwater Stand-Up
Butt Cap: LBC30B #30 Large Butt Cap
Gimbal: AXG27-B New design Alum gimbal-Black-ALPS
Rear Grip: Slick 10 Molded Butt 10"-Black w/TR
Reel Seat: ETAHD22M-B Easy Tight HVY Duty Alum Machined R/S 24 - Black
Fore Grip: BSFS14-500/625 14" Foregrip Tapered I.D.: .500"- .625" EVA-Black
Fore Grip Cover: HST-1.57X39.4-B Heat Shrink Tube ( DIA 40) X-Flock 1.57" IDx39.4"-Black
Winding Check: BH09 Hosel .563" I.D.
Tip Top: BRXST3-11.0 Roller Top SS316 Roller 11.0 Tube-6061 alum frame 30/50lb-Black
Guides (see below for size and quantity): BRXSG & XBHXNLG Roller Gde SS316 Roller-6061 alum frame 30/50lb-Black & Heavy XN Guides

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XBHXNLG10 4.75"
2nd XBHXNLG10 10"
3rd XBHXNLG12 15.5"
4th XBHXNLG16 21.5"
5th BRXSG35 28.5"

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 25, 2015 05:41PM

Duplicate - Please Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2015 05:43PM by Geoff Staples.

Posted by: casey weires (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2015 10:09PM

Going to make this rod a bit more sexy with cork fore grips. at one point in time I had bought some 8" fore grips about 1.25 to 1.5 in diameter. but I have not been able to find them again. Guess the only way is to make/lathe my own. Got em at the ICRBE 3 yrs ago. Thx for the sugestions. Looking to go on the light side of 30. Mostly catching 10-40lb dolphins off the east coast of NC. I will have to investigate this blank option. Thx again.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2015 11:52AM

Between the reel and the desire to use a roller guide striper and tip.....I'd say you have people thinking you want a super duty stand-up 30# class rod. Maybe you don't?

FWIW my general purpose 30# trolling outfit is an Avet LX mounted on a rclb70ml blank. I used virtus guides. Probably get my clock cleaned with a decent yellowfin but I'm not afraid of any dolphin/wahoo/sailfish. Outfit is fairly light, durable, and cost effective.....plus I can cast it suprisingly well for a lever drag.

I'd save the two speed reel and roller guides for 50# class and up.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (38.98.183.---)
Date: October 01, 2015 05:35PM

I think Russell nailed it - RCLB70ML or even RCLB70L for a 7' set up. For 6'6" I love the MHX Saltwater SW66H - excellent blank for what you are doing. Both also double as light bottom rods very well if spooled with braid and a mono / fluoro topshot.

At risk of answering a different question than you asked, it seems crazy to me to put rollers on a 30# rod used for light duty like you are describing. I have had excellent luck using Virtus Lite or Fuji KWAG double footed guides and tips for rods in this class. These rods - outfitted with your TLD 30 - will land YFT to 80# and AJs to 60# with ease. This is not speculation - this is what I have caught on them in calendar year 2015. Although I am using Truth SGs and Daiwa Saltiga 2-speeds in the same 30 size.

I spiral wrap them with the first guide offset toward the non-crank side. This configuration helps you with line leveling using the thumb of your non-reeling hand. But you could build them guides on top as well. Hope this helps - good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster