I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Halibut Blank
Posted by: Bill Mihm (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 22, 2015 06:43PM

I'm going to build a Halibut rod for a friend of mine in Alaska. My question is do they use stand up tuna blanks? If so what is the best one to get. I know that the rods he has now are 5ft 6in and he uses braided line in the 80 to 100lb range. I have built about 35 freshwater rods but no saltwater rods. Do I lay down a size c thread to mount my guides to rod and do I have to double wrap the guides? As you can tell I need some help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Halibut Blank
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 23, 2015 07:53AM

It would probably be helpful if you can provide some specific details about how he fishes.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: September 23, 2015 09:23AM

Bill I captained in homer and Seward for 6 years. I built countless halibut rods. My personal record was 319 pound 6 ounce giant. They are fished in 250 foot plus water and with the current strong where they live Heavy jigs are used like one pound plus usually with a giant rubber grub or the like. Needless to say a broom stick rod is used. First suggestion would be a spiral wrap. The tourque on these rods is tremendous. Second would be not the size of thread. I always use A thread and avoid underwraps. Thread is not as important as the kind of guide used. First the salt water has always had me using titanium guides. I used AT titan guides with great success. Keep in mind casting is never an issue as all fishing is done straight down. I always use a 5 to 6 foot rod as short gives the advantage to you. As far as double wraps go not a bad idea but I never did and never had a problem.

Date: September 23, 2015 09:39AM

btw Bill I used calstar blanks. Strong cheap and they have what you want.

Date: September 23, 2015 02:15PM

John my friend fishes Halibut just like billy broderick explains His main passion tho is fishing feeder Kings which I am going to build a down rigger rod which I don't have any questions on but maybe a blank recomendation 9ft 30lb line.
Billy thanks for the info just what I was looking for. My friend lives in Homer he is a retired film maker Brown Bears of Katmai. His name is Derek Stonorov. Very nice man. I fished with him this past August. Nothing over 25lb was caught but we spent most of the day fishing Kings and Silvers.Billy for his down rigger rod I was also going to build a spiral wrap. I didn't know if that would work on the Halibut blank. For the Calstar blank do you recomend the 80lb to 130lb blank range 5ft 6in? Since you captained
a boat I'll go by your recomendation on the a blank. thank you both for your reply.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 23, 2015 02:21PM

Our blanks are not only tough, but also over engineered in a great way!!

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

For a Halibut rod 2 rods would do nicely for you:

RTCB56XXH - Fast Action

FSU56XXH - Mod Action

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: September 23, 2015 02:34PM

Billy what ring sizes and how many in the train. I picked out a blank Calstar Grafighter 5.6 60lb to unlimited.

Date: September 23, 2015 03:02PM

I use 20,16,12 running guides. Get 4 running guides but you will probably have extra one or two. Check out the American Tackle Vertus heavy guides. :You will also need a low frame transition guide if you do spiral like me. For the tip top I prefer a roller tip. Make sure you have a good gimble knock for the but cap and get a cover for it when fighting chicken's. You want to make that handle just as light as you can while keeping in mind it will get some bouncing around in a rod holder on the trips back and forth. Let me know if you have more questions.

Posted by: Jim Titulaer (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 24, 2015 11:59AM

An "A" underwrap is fine and I double wrap all my heavy saltwater builds with no issues....just my personal preference.
The round end aluminum gimbals are nice for that type of rod also, I think Perfection makes them. They don't dig into stomach or groin as bad as a normal alum gimbal.

Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.goldenvalleycable.com)
Date: October 02, 2015 04:06PM

Phenix Megalodon MPX-569-C-B

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster