I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ring popped out of Eye
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2015 05:34PM

I was was bottom fishing this past weekend and hooked into an enormous nurse shark that really put a bend in my rod. As I put the next bait down I noticed that one of the rings had popped out of one of the eyes. I figured the guide had cracked allowing the ring to pop out. I just pushed the ring back into the guide as a temporary fix. After that I used another rod for the rest of the day.

Problem is I don't really remember which guide it was. I have gone over the rod 3 times now and can not find a loose ring or a a crack of any kind in any of the guides. Any suggestions? Is it possible that some how under stress the ring just popped out and I was able pop it back in place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ring popped out of Eye
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2015 06:50PM

Yes, it is possible, but if it happened once it'll happen again the next time the rod undergoes similar stress.

You can run a Q-Tip swab around the inside of the guides rings. If there is a crack it'll usually pull some cotton out of the swab and identify itself.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2015 08:27PM

Assuming that these are larger guides (base in the type of fishing you are doing).
You can take a tooth pick and some Gorilla shock resistant supper glue, and run a thin line of glue around each of the guide frames against the insert (each side). Which will reinforce all of them and repair the one that is loose.
It will wick into joint of the one loose insert and re-glue it to the frame.

I have done this several times with good success. Even with some of the old style Batson Micro guides before they redesigned them. Have yet to have one the new designed Micro's fail.

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2015 12:28AM

I knew it had to be one of three guides so after some pretty strong pressure I was able to push the ring out of the bad guide. I haven't taken the guide off yet and my eyes aren't what they used to be but I think I can see a crack in the guide. I would not have felt comfortable gluing the rings. I'm sure it would have failed again at just the wrong time.

Thanks for all the advice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2015 06:23PM

Robert,
If the rod has had a lot of use, you might consider replacing all of the guides at the same time - just to freshen the rod.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster