I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inshore Saltwater 2 piece blank
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 04:32PM

Hi, I'm looking for a saltwater inshore blank which needs to be 2 piece around 7 feet in length and can handle lures / jigs up to 3 or 4 ounces. I found a couple of MHX options but they are too heavy, as well as a Rainshadow (the SW967F) which seems to fit the bill. Any experience with this blank, or any other suggestions pls ? Thanks in anticipation!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inshore Saltwater 2 piece blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 05:02PM

Hi Alistair.
The following CTS may fit the bill
7'0"
2pc
blank weight 2.8 oz.
Tip - 3mm
Butt 19.5mm.
Lure weight 2-6 oz.
See description (last blank on bottom)

Email me for pricing if interested.
Herb
CTS Distrib.

The ultimate in sport fishing spin. For the keen sports fisherman who enjoys the exhilaration of casting slugs and poppers at the likes of mackerel, tuna, queen fish and trevally, and all other types of fast aggressive fish.

Triple taper system. Softer tip for working live baits and stray lining. The moderate fast action mid section of this series creates a blank that casts like a bullet. Powerful butt combines to subdue strong, stubborn fish.

100% super strength carbon with CTS carbon helix core creates a light weight blank allowing anglers to cast all day with minimal effort.

Core: 100% High Strength Carbon with VeroCore Carbon Helix | Taper: Extra Fast | Taper Type: Triple | Action: Fast | Rating: Sport

Model

(BS702) 7'0" 12-20lb : 1-2.5oz

(BS703) 7'0" 15-25lb : 1-3.5oz

(BS704) 7'0" 20-30lb : 1.5-4.5oz

(BS705 ) 7'0" 30-45lb : 2-6oz

(BS706) 7'0" 50-65lb : 2.5-8oz

(BS763) 7'6" 20-30lb : 1-3.5oz

(BS765) 7'6" 40-50lb : 2-6oz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 05:04PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 05:04PM

Hi, Alistair,
I've built (2) rods on SW967F.
Contact me and I can send you my Excel spread sheets on rod layout and components.
One is mine and one to a fellow who wanted a travel rod, fresh and salt water for travel to Florida.
Nice rods.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 05:36PM

Hi Alistair, I am in the process of building my third SW967F rod. Two of these went to my son in San Francisco to be fished in the bay area. The third one is for me. I test casted the rod to see if I could cast a 3/8 oz. lure and worked very well; no problem casting a 4 oz. weight either. One thing to remember is that the blank is 8 ft. long. I will use mine for light surf duty with bait or spoons or in the bay with live piggies. Cheers, Ellis Mendiola, Houston, Texas

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 21, 2015 08:04PM

Really hard to beat that RainShadow SW967F!

Iam currently going to build this exact rod for not only bass travel rod, but also as an inshore rod as well!!

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: September 22, 2015 03:43AM

Thanks guys. Hi Herb, what are the tip and butt dimensions of the BS763 model pls ? Can't seem to get them from the website.

Date: September 22, 2015 12:32PM

Alistair.
Those numbers on the site are very "loose".
I would say that the butt is in the "area" of 0.7"
and the tip is a #6 to 6.5.
Most CTS blanks are made as they are ordered. I have had #10 fly rods come in with #4, 4.5, 5.0 tip diameters. But a static test has them all testing out the same. They are constantly "tweaking" their designs - in some cases 2-3 times a year.
Please email me to discuss further.
hladen@hotmail.com. Your email is hidden,.
Herb

Date: September 22, 2015 09:45PM

Alistair,
Answer to your question from Stephen pratt - Director of CTS:

Herb,
specs are as follows:

BS763(DN1): Butt=0.65" | Tip=0.094"| Weight=4.75oz<br>
Warm regards
Stephen

Date: September 23, 2015 04:22PM

Thanks Herb. Will think about it. I've read great things about CTS blanks.

Date: September 23, 2015 05:08PM

Alistair,
Please send me your email.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 23, 2015 05:27PM

I live 300 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. Depending upon weather/ocean conditions I can anticipate catching #2 fish or #90 fish "inshore". I have a lot of rods and reels. You need to refine your search.

I live 300 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. Depending upon weather/ocean conditions I can anticipate catching #2 fish or #90 fish "inshore". I have a lot of rods and reels. You need to refine your search.

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (46.11.225.---)
Date: September 23, 2015 05:45PM

Phil, I live in Malta middle of the Mediterranean Sea and the intention is to use this rod close to shore mostly with lures and small jigs. Targets are usually amberjacks, barras, little tunnies and bonitos. Usually fish under 8kg. For larger fish we use trolling or heavy jigging rods.

Herb, my email is now visible. Thanks.

Date: September 23, 2015 06:38PM

Alistar, Here on the east coast of Florida the species and size of the "inshore" catch varies wildly with the time of year. I usually gear up when the heavies are around because I would rather catch and release one big fish than catch and release (or kill) several small (8kg.) fish. That's my excuse for requiring more information about the purpose of your rod. In the Sea of Cortez pez fuerte AKA amberjacks weighing 60 pounds and more are frequently caught a few hundred yards from shore, as they were a few decades ago from east Florida beaches.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 23, 2015 06:55PM

Here are the specs of the RainShadow SW967F in case!
SW967F Matte Gray 8'0" 2 15-25lb. 3/4-4oz. 0.635 7.0 MOD-F M 4.2oz.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster