I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

80# Class Aluminum Short Butts - Wanted
Posted by: Jim Titulaer (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 21, 2015 01:28PM

Does anyone know where I can get ahold of a Size 4 or 80# class short aluminum butts? I've used Stuarts before but they are hard to come by if available at all these days. The blanks I like using for XXX standup rods have a larger butt diameter on them and I don't like sanding them down in order to mount in a Size 2 butt. I've done it before but would rather use a Size 4 that has a 1" ID ferrule. Any help at finding these would be greatly appreciated, I might load up on them if I can find a decent source.
Thanks,
JT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80# Class Aluminum Short Butts - Wanted
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 07:43PM

Aftco are easy to find. Search any of the vendors to the left.

Posted by: Jim Titulaer (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 10:41PM

Negative sir, there are Aftco short curved size 4 but not short straight size 4.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2015 07:29AM

this what your looking for

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 22, 2015 11:24AM

Hello Jim.

MudHole has the Stuart SCB-4S-Color,

Have a Good Day.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 22, 2015 11:57AM

Thank You, however that is where I've ordered the butts from in the past but they don't stock them any longer and when you go order them they can't give you a date when they will be available... Any other resources than MH that you guys know of?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2015 12:27PM

Google up aftco aluminum butts and you will get a lot to check out

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 22, 2015 01:37PM

Bill, the only ones I can find that are available are the UB4 Short Curved butts and that's not what I'm looking for. I need the UB4 Short Straight model or the Stuart SCB-4S-S model. The UB2 Short Straight butts are widely available but do not work since the ID of the ferrule is to small.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 22, 2015 04:59PM

Jim,

Frankly Stuart Industries has become impossible to deal with so we stopped offering them. Pacific Bay stopped offering them years ago for the same reason, we just took longer to learn the same lesson. Its a shame because they make a fine product, but supplying and supporting their dealers is non-existent. We end up looking like the bad guy when in fact Stuart can not supply us with product.

Try grinding the blank butt OD down, if the wall gets to thin, fill the butt of the blank with something solid for extra hoop strength.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: September 23, 2015 07:13AM

Gotcha, thanks for the information and that is understandable. I'll stick to sanding the blanks down I guess.
Thank You,
JT

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2015 12:06PM

A good idea is to find another piece of blank that will fit inside the blank and glue it in for additional reinforcement.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 23, 2015 02:49PM

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 23, 2015 03:49PM

We have plenty in stock and ready to get to you! ALPS Short Curved butts! Unfortunately none are for 80#. The 4 series is what you want, but we only have them in the long version.
[alpsforecast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster