I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lesson learned
Posted by: James Rogers (199.27.156.---)
Date: September 20, 2015 02:37PM

I am building 2- 10' 6" spinning rods out of Rainshadow steelhead blanks for light surf fishing. I wrapped a double layer of rubberized cork tape 22" long for the grip and am using a fugi plate typ reel seat that I will wrap in place. This is my first rod build ever and here is where I learned a costly lesson today. I was finishing off the end of the fore grip using heat shrink tubing that was 1 1/2" long with 1/2" of it being on the Cork tape grip and the other 1" on the blank with an epoxy ramp transition. Putting the shrink tubing on the second of the two rods, I overheated the blank and had a catastrophic failure. I chalk this up to inexperience and not thinking about my process and the damage that I can cause by that process. I will never put heat shrink tubing onto a bare blank again. I test flexed the the other rod that I had already done, to see if I had damaged it too. I did not get it as hot as the second one. It did not break but I am still not 100% confident that It will not fail during use. I am thinking that it is not a complete loss as I can trim the broken end and turn a 10' 6" blank into an 8' 6" UUL blank, what do you think? Has anyone ever taken 2 feet off the butt end of a steelhead blank. mabey use it for crappie fishing. Lesson learned New blank ordered

James

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 02:54PM by James Rogers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lesson learned
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 20, 2015 02:45PM

I think you made a great choice of the rod blank for light surf fishing. Apparently you did not make as good a choice for the means to heat your shrink tubing. Did you use a flame like a propane torch or an ultra-high hot air blower? I would like to avoid the mistake you made.

Posted by: James Rogers (199.27.156.---)
Date: September 20, 2015 02:51PM

Used a heat gun and had it on high setting

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 21, 2015 12:25AM

On the blank you are not not 100% confident on, {Cut a long piece of good blank off the trashed blank} and trial fit it inside your good uncertain blank through the butt end of the rod. Cut as needed to try and get the tapers to match as best as you can , Then epoxy it inside through the bottom of your good blank internally , Make sure it covers the area above the heat damaged at least 3"- 4" inches. Think internal splint. Whatever is left could be made into a little creek rod, mini practice fly rod for inside the house or small yard, Or a little spin panfish rod. The only heat I use is a small hair dryer. Tight Lines Jaa

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 22, 2015 03:04PM

Trim the broken one and fish the other, keep both for yourself.

If the resulting action and power of the trimmed one is not useful to you (it probably wont be with that much removed), make a tapered reamer out of the midsection and keep the tip for repair material (or make a ice fishing rod?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster