I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima Guides and Heavy Braid
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 03:13PM

Anyone running Minima's with heavy braid use. Looking at musky rods on my end, lot's of casting with 65# and 80# braid. Would still run a flanged ceramic or solid carbide tip top.

Anyone have rods in the field under this type of use?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima Guides and Heavy Braid
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 05:13PM

No issue at all.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 07:52PM

the only problems could be the MINIMA guides are small an I don't know if they can take the force on big fish minima guides are on the small side
an you talk about 65 # to 80 # I don't know how the frames will hold up on the larger size fish that you are going after, the minima frames are small an light not big an robust, can bend under that type load , don't know if it will happen but some thing to think about

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 08:10PM

Most of the pressure musky fishing is from the baits - up to 12 oz. is fairly common. I think they'll swing that. Most of the fish are not huge like saltwater fish. More thinking on the hours of casting with the heavy braid and ring wear could be an issue.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 08:12PM by Marc Morrone.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 08:54PM

Hi,
I have been using Minima 3 and 4 guides for over 5 years. 24 rods rebuilt using Minima 4's have been in use on two party boats for 5 years and not one has been returned for service. I fish 50# braid thru Minima guides and top tops and no damage at all. Catch blue fish and black fish using these guides with no problems.
Many of my customers choose the Minima's due to light weight, reasonable cost and rings do not come out so no guide replacement repairs. Many of my personal rods and my demo rods have Minima's installed.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2015 08:53AM

Great light weight guide. I use on saltwater fly, spinning, and bottom rods. The only issue I had was with a tip top etching from reeling in large blue fish, but that's an easy fix. Good luck. MH

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2015 04:03PM

I think the power of the rod and the load it's subjected to is far more important than the line used in guide selection unless you're passing big leader knots, or whatever through the guides.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 21, 2015 08:10AM

I use them on some of my pier rods where i am as likely to get a shark as a King Mackarel. Some have been in use for 5 or 6 years. No problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster