I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

M/MH casting guide set
Posted by: Mike zurlo (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 17, 2015 11:36PM

Hi guys I was wondering for some guide recommendations for a set of casting rods I'm doing for friend. They will be a set of 3-6 rods all between 5'6" and 7'. Mostly M, MH rods set up for different techniques. I was hoping some one could point me towards a guide set or pieces to make a set that could work for the rods. I was doing research on k series (with rv stripper), and the micro wave series, but I ran into some questions that I couldn't answer and am doubting (probably overthinking) my choice.
If using the k serious with the rv stripper should/could I run Micro guides to the tip.
Has any one used the casting microwave sets? I found an, Abundance of info and reviews on the spinning sets. Very little on casting.
Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: M/MH casting guide set
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 09:44AM

Mike if you choose to go with the K-Series it will most likely look like this:

Casting KR Concept
RV6 + (3) KB5.5 or 5 or 4.5 or 4, KT same size to the top.
Put the RV6 at around 19 inches beyond the reel line guide and static load all other guides to the top.

Casting NGC
KW10 stripper followed by a KW8, then 3 KB7 or 6, and same size KT't to the top. Same set up.

Spinning KR Concept
KL20H, KL10H, KL5.5M, KB5, same size KT to the top (static loaded). This is for 6'9" and 7' rods casting up to 20 lb braid or 10lb mono

KL16H, KL8H, KL5.5M, KB5, same size KT's to the top (static loaded). Use this for rods below 6'6" casting 10lb braid and 4 - 6lb mono.

Stripper will fall around 19-22 inches from the tip of the reel spool. choke will fall roughly the same distance from the stripper. Bullseye the other two reduction guides, static load to the top with runners.

At this point KR is SO good on rods 7ft and below I would not even recommend an NGC build using the KL guide frame.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2015 10:07AM

Hi Mike,

I just saw this so I wanted to give my biased opinion, I say biased because I would be suggesting American Tackle products. But this said, if given the choice of any or all the standard guide choices available, I would not hesitate in saying go with the MWG Casting edition! It’s the best choice because it’s the best design and the latest technology in line control. I guarantee that there is nothing that will work any better however these MWG’s will offer what others don’t, like the immediate unrestricted line control, high ring location direct from the reel and the single foot design using 5mm rings(or micros in the MicroLite). Not to mention the enhanced MicroWave performance qualities.

While the benefits aren’t as easy to see or measure as the spinning guide sets, there are quite a few top level bass pros making their livings fishing and casting rods all day long hundreds of days a year. Those lucky enough to have rod sponsors that can provide MicroWave rods will boldly state that there are solid performance benefits that they’ve never experienced before with standard guides from all brands.

In fact the #1 and #2 top ranked pros worldwide, ranked by Bass Fan.com both use MicroWave guides on their rods and will say that they make a difference. The #1 ranked and Bassmaster Elite Series “Angler Of the Year”, Aaron Martens left Mega Bass to design his own rods with Enigma Fishing using the MicroWave Line Control System that Mega Bass wouldn't put on his rods. The first complete year he used his Aaron's Edge rods with MWG’s he dominated and set the record for the most successful Elite season ever, and he’ll credit in part his rods equipped with MicroWave guides. He states “they were the decision for me” when asked about why he went out on his own to design rods. And although he’s noted for his spinning rod use, he and the rest of the competitive pros will fish more casting rods than spinning along the tournament trail.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I’d be happy to give you my views and thoughts. My partner Joe Meehan and I have been in the component business for over 3 decades and in fact the only ones designing, selling, funding, fishing and building rods with guides of our own creation. It is safe to say that we are immersed in the function of guide design every day of our lives and these Casting Editions are a result of this. They are a simplest single set of guides offering a 1 size fits all way to improve rod and angler performance available.

Respectfully,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 10:31AM by Darrin Heim.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 01:43PM

Mike,

I have used both Fuji K-Series and ATC MicroWave Guide sets in my custom builds. You can not go wrong with either one as they are both excellent guide systems. You might want ask your friend if he has a preference. Some guys, (Old School), just can't get their head around the Micro Wave guides and other customers I have request them exclusively. I quest traditions take a long time to change

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 07:07PM

I have built many casting rods (and spinningrods) using both the microwave and fuji kr systems and they both perform extremely well. Six of one and a half dozen of the other. I personally prefer the kr system. The main reason is that you cannot buy the microwave stripper guide by itself; so if it gets broken or bent you have to buy the entire microwave guide set to replace this single guide. A very expensive guide replacement to be sure. Believe me guides get accidentally broken more often than one would think. Maybe one of these days American tackle will sell these guides individually rather than part of a kit.

Date: September 18, 2015 10:03PM

I was thinking about the what ifs on going with the micro wave guides, and yes replacing that first guide incase of a accident seems to b more costly.

On the Fuji k series, what is the difference between the kb and the kt guides? could I run one or other to the tip or do they serve there own purpose? In pictures they look a lot different and concern how they would look on the rod came up in a discussion I had today.

Date: September 18, 2015 10:56PM

The 'b' in kb stands for belly and have a wider and longer foot than the kts (the 't' stands for tip). Two - 4 kbs are used after the rv stripper (or double ft kw stripper & kw reduction guide), which places the kbs in the 'belly' of the rod where there is the most bending stress when casting or fighting a fish. The wider longer foot helps to prevent the guide from pulling out from the stress. Pull outs have been a problem with some commercial rods using narrow and short footed micro guides. Since there is less stress involved in the tip section kts are used out to the tip top, they are slightly lighter than the kbs. When wrapped it is difficult to tell them apart. There is no problems using kbs all the way to the tip, however there is a slight increase in weight. There is also no problem in using all kts, but be sure to use a locking wrap. I use a locking wrap on all single foot guides no matter where they are located. Hope this helps.

Date: September 19, 2015 02:22AM

Thank you for that response, that is just what I needed to know.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 11:10AM

Above the foot KB and KT are exactly the same. Once wrapped you can't tell them apart. Above size 6, the KT has enough foot to be secure in the belly, that's why the KB only goes up to a size 6.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2015 12:13PM

Jim
The picture on your site makes them look different But when one brings up the spects they do look the same How come Some thing ya got to fix ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 21, 2015 12:14PM

Jim
The picture on your site makes them look different But when one brings up the spects they do look the same How come The KB looks to have a stronger frame around the ring Some thing ya got to fix ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 02:53PM by bill boettcher.

Date: September 21, 2015 12:21PM

Another advantage of the kr system over the micro wave system, which I did not mention previously, is that you can use different size running guides to suit your needs (I.e. 6, 5.5, 5, 4.5 & 4). This gives you the ability to make a more
customized rod than do the micro wave or microlite systems which have size 5 and size 3 running guides, respectively.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2015 03:44PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have built many casting rods (and spinningrods)
> using both the microwave and fuji kr systems and
> they both perform extremely well. Six of one and a
> half dozen of the other. I personally prefer the
> kr system. The main reason is that you cannot buy
> the microwave stripper guide by itself; so if it
> gets broken or bent you have to buy the entire
> microwave guide set to replace this single guide.
> A very expensive guide replacement to be sure.
> Believe me guides get accidentally broken more
> often than one would think. Maybe one of these
> days American tackle will sell these guides
> individually rather than part of a kit.

Untrue, if you have a MicroWave guide that needs to be replaced give us a call and we can replace it for you, no need to buy a whole new set.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Date: September 21, 2015 04:01PM

That is good to know
So why not sell them as one guide

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 21, 2015 04:17PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is good to know
> So why not sell them as one guide

It is not just the one guide that makes the whole thing work. It is a system that works together and has gone through extensive testing. We have taken the guess work and confusion out of the equation for you. We now offer the MicroWave guides in 9 different systems to fit almost all types of rods.

*AirWave Spinning (coming soon)
*AirWave Casting (coming soon)
*MicroLite Casting
*MicroWave Casting
*MicroWave Spinning
*TidalWave casting (titanium)
*TidalWave Spinning (titanium)
*MicroWave 30 Spinning
*MicroWave 50 Spinning

Date: September 21, 2015 07:34PM

Don, What I said about having to buy the entire microwave set to replace a broken stripper is not totally untrue. I have yet to find a microwave dealer that sells the stripper alone and have not seen any mention in your advertisements that if the stripper breaks it will be replaced by calling you.. Your above mention of this is the first time I have heard of such a replacement option. This option is not commonly known by your customers. Wish I had known this previously; would have saved some heart ache and money. Do not get me wrong, I think the microwave system is innovative and works very well, especially for spinning. I know that the microwave concept is a system, but I still believe that being able to buy the strippers individually will not hurt business. You sell the runners individually, why not the strippers?

Date: September 22, 2015 08:52AM

The extra runners are sold to accommodate longer rods so they are sold separate. There is no reason to sell the stripping and transition guides as a stand alone product because they are part of the complete system.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster