I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lumiseal Question
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: September 16, 2015 09:03AM

Hi All,

I am putting the final coat on a carbon grip I made (I have made several). This time I wanted to try Lumiseal since I had a bottle on my bench. I watched Tom'video on YouTube and I seamed pretty straight forward.

When I opened the bottle it had a skim on top of the finish. After poking through I managed to pour some out into a cup. It was thick. Much like a light build epoxy would be. Watching Tom's video I thought the product was suppose to be very thin. When I applied it caused bubbles on the finish that did not pop during curing It was also wiping off as it was spinning, I think because it was going on thick? My laith is a belt type and I had it set at the lowest rpm, 500.

Few questions

1. Can't the product be thinned?
2. I assume I can sand and recoat?
3. Can I sand and apply epoxy over it if I choose to go that route?
4. Is the product suppose to be thin like Testors paint for example?

Thanks on advance for all your help!

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lumiseal Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2015 09:09AM

It should be almost water thin. It can't be thinned, it can be sanded and recoated.

Date: September 16, 2015 09:33AM

Hi Tom,

Well now I know what the problem was.

Can I put epoxy over it after I sand it?

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Date: September 16, 2015 10:16AM

Yes.

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: September 16, 2015 10:44PM

Chris,
I have had the same problem with the last 2 bottles (unopened) and so I contacted roddancer and they told me I could thin with xylene.
Xylene unfortunately didnt work for me, if anything I think I ended with more bubbles after thinning?
Evidently my supplier has old stock or some that froze according to the person I contacted.

Date: September 17, 2015 08:55AM

It's not freezing that does it - it's moisture. These are moisture curing urethanes and even the slight bit of air trapped in the bottle, if it contains enough moisture, will tend to cure the product.

Date: September 17, 2015 09:26AM

My bottle was also never opened. I have read several times on this form the same issue. The product starting to cure in the bottle before it has ever been used. It's a good product I am sure but it seems you are taking a chance with it.

This of course is just my observation and limited experience with the product.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Date: September 17, 2015 09:50AM

Both Lumaseal and PermaGloss suffer from the occasional cured-in-the bottle problem. Trondak claims to have solved the problem with PermaGloss by using a new type of bottle cap. Either way, both manufacturers will generally replace product that has cured in an unopened bottle.

Date: September 17, 2015 10:48AM

I understand. But I live in Canada and having to ship across the border doesn't make sense to return it.

Anyway I do not find it to be that big of a deal. I don't sell fishing rods for a living. This build is for a gift for a friend of mine.

Date: September 17, 2015 11:03AM

Call the supplier and see if they'll send you another on your word. I know this gets into tricky waters but it's worth a shot.

Lumaseal is going to provide you with a nicer top coating than any epoxy will.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (207.164.79.---)
Date: September 17, 2015 11:06AM

Ok you've talked me into it. Stay tuned.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2015 11:47AM

Permagloss is thinner then Lumiseal I have found Just move faster sets quick

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: September 18, 2015 12:18AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both Lumaseal and PermaGloss suffer from the
> occasional cured-in-the bottle problem. Trondak
> claims to have solved the problem with PermaGloss
> by using a new type of bottle cap. Either way,
> both manufacturers will generally replace product
> that has cured in an unopened bottle.
>
> ...............….

Not in my case, I was very disappointed after contacting them they had not offered to exchange in some form?
I had no other options for local suppliers in western Canada either and after my second bottle I figured it was futile to try another from the same supplier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster