I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy drop shot rod blank 7'6'' to 8'
Posted by: Lauri Honkasalo (---.elisa-mobile.fi)
Date: September 16, 2015 04:59AM

Hi guys

I'm looking for a heavier rod blank for deep water zander ( similar to walleye ) drop shotting.
It don't have to be necessarily full deal drop shot rod, but it definetly need to be suitable for that.
We're using 1/3oz to 1oz weights because of the current and with those 3,5" - 5" Lunker city Fin S shads we need to use those heavy weights.

Looking for those cheaper blanks maximum $100 .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy drop shot rod blank 7'6'' to 8'
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.i02-5.onvol.net)
Date: September 16, 2015 06:33AM

Hi Lauri. I imagine you are from Finland ? Where do you fish ? I've been on a fishing trip on holiday to the Tamissari archipelago in Southern Finland last month!... great place for perch, pike and zander.

Re drop shot blank for zander I think you can find a lot from the suppliers on the left ... there are quite a lot to choose from MHX, StCroix, RainShadow and others. The blanks are normally marked as drop shot blanks - just look for those that can handle up to 1 oz. I never built such a blank so I cannot direct you to a particular one but I'm sure the experts will chime in. Cheers!

Posted by: Lauri Honkasalo (---.elisa-mobile.fi)
Date: September 16, 2015 06:44AM

Hi Alistair

I am from finland as yoy assumed.
So you were at tammisaari and I fish about 20km from that in the place called särkisalo.
Tammisaari is OK for zanders , but insane with perch and pikes.
Theres bigger zanders in särkisalo area or thats what I have been catching in 10 years.

So, I'll chek on those supliers and hopefully I will find some suitable blanks from there

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2015 09:00AM

Hi Lauri

A possible choice may be the MHX MB941. It is 7'10" in length that is rated to throw 1/4 to 1 oz weights. The blank has a Mag taper and is very strong in the butt section yet only has a 5 tip. It is a fast action blank although most drop shot rods are extra fast. That may not make a difference since I am not to familiar with your type of fishing. It is definitely below your price range.

Take a look at it here:

[fishmhx.com]

Anyone else see a better choice please let us know.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 09:04AM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.i02-5.onvol.net)
Date: September 16, 2015 09:53AM

Yes I heard about the Salo area Lauri :)

From my very limited experience of your fishing, I think Mag Tapers are great for the large zanders you mention as you have a very strong butt with a very sensitive tip, which is always good to have for drop shotting. Look for mag taper types as Tom suggested - all the major manufacturers should have them marked as such.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2015 02:54PM

Considering the amount of weight you'll be using, I'd also suggest that you look for a mag taper blank, but with a much higher power rating than a normal drop shot rod would have. Here in the states, most drop shot rods, and subsequently the blanks they're built on, have lure weight ratings in the vicinity of 1/8 - 3/8 oz. I doubt a blank that was actually designed for using a drop shot, would do you any good.

I've used a heavier form of the standard drop shot rig, for fishing deep weed edges, and deeper thicker weed beds for bass. Here we call it a power drop shot rig. The only differences between it, and the normal drop shot rig is that it uses heavier weights, and heavier line. I've actually caught just as many walleye using the rig, as I have bass.

I use a 7' heavy power, extra fast action bait casting rod, with 17 - 20# fluorocarbon line, and weights up to 3/4 oz. when I power drop shot. As was previously mentioned, an extra fast action is preferred by most people when fishing a drop shot, because its lighter tip makes it easier to sense the pressure bites that regularly occur when using a drop shot. At least that has been my experience when fishing for bass.

Since you're fishing a current area, lighter, smaller diameter line would probably prove more useful to you. If it were me, I'd look for a medium heavy power, extra fast action blank in the 7' - 7'6" range you mentioned. I say medium heavy power because it would probably be more forgiving if you were to use lighter line, but it would still have the powerful butt you'd need to move the higher amount of weight, on the hook set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 11:57PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: September 17, 2015 02:41AM

To cut a long story short: if you can live with a shorter (6'8") blank, then look at Batson Revelation REVS68MXF.

P.S. The blank will easily handle casting weights of more than an ounce. Maybe not tons more, but 1 1/4 oz. is easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 03:18PM by Michal Rozycki.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster