I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative wrap and sensitivity
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2015 02:05PM

Hey guys so I have always built my rods trying to use the least amount of finish and thread possible to keep the blank as sensitive as possible. However, I would like to try a diamond wrap on a rod simply because I have never done one before. What I am thinking though is, if I put the diamond wrap in the split grip, between the butt and rear grip section of the rod, should that hurt the sensitivity at all as I will be holding the rod above that place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative wrap and sensitivity
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 14, 2015 02:15PM

Any weight added will affect a rod, but the small amount of weight added in this location should have an imperceptible effect in the finished product.

You get a far more noticeable change from guide train selection (and the weight of thread and finish) out near the tip of a delicate rod. Don't worry about it, enjoy the experience and your results.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 14, 2015 03:25PM

If you switch from nylon monofilament line, which stretches from 6% to 16%, to super braid line, which stretches about 3%, the "sensitivity" of the rod in your hand will increase by 100% to 500%. The rod can't "sense" what is not transmitted.

Date: September 14, 2015 03:40PM

This rod is going to be a flipping stick. I will be fishing around a lot of wood and rocks, so I will be using fluorocarbon rather than mono or braid. I may end up using braid at some point, but it will be fc at first.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: September 14, 2015 05:54PM

If you're buying quality blanks and using the smallest guides within reason chances are the rod's gonna be more sensitive than you are. If you really want to maintain sensitivity make sure to keep the DNA off your hands as much as possible. Lynn

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2015 06:08AM

Cameron;
Absolutely will loose some sensitivity.

But in this case, putting the wrap behind the reel seat will pull the balance point further to the rear of the rod, which in the case of a flipping stick, may increase bite detection, reduce fatigue, and aid in the pendulum effect of flipping your bait.

Thus improving your over all performance

Date: September 15, 2015 08:47PM

Awesome thanks guys!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2015 09:00AM

Cameron,
You can test for yourself.
Build the rod with no butt decorative wrapping.

Then, add the decorative wrapping and finish.

Go fishing.

I would doubt very much if you would detect any difference in the rod.

I agree with Steve that the rod will lose some sensitivity. But, I doubt that you as a user would notice the difference.

Give it a test and find out.

If you do it, let us know what you find.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster