I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread to wrap a rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 12, 2015 12:08AM

My source of rod wrapping thread has closed it doors on rod building supplies [ no thread ] what other thread can be used an have a good result
in my rod building , I know I can buy it from a jobber on the left but I like to look at the rod an thread before I build , we do have some very
large sewing places in town as well an embroidery shops [ very large ] so names of thread makers will help a lot thanks for any input
PS looking for A size

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread to wrap a rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 12, 2015 07:08AM

Madiera, Robison-Anton, YLI, SULKY,DMC are all brands that I have used. You will have to check for use of coatings (silicone) and apply CP as required.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 12, 2015 07:51AM

Agree with Kens selection, just make sure they say Poly on the lable as there is a lot of rayon in
sewing shops. Rayon does not like our finishes. Do expect a larger, more vibrant color selection.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 12, 2015 08:40AM

G'day William as Ken has stated any of those embroidery threads will work .They appear to have 2 sizes being 40 & 60 those sizes are a length to weight EG: 40 kilometres of thread weighs 1 kg & the 60 being longer therefore thinner .The 40 is a tic smaller in diameter than A but the breaking strain is also a tick lower but not enough to worry about .As Robert has said only the Poly will work without any problems & CP is a must these days because of the high speed embroidery machines that use the silicone as a lubricant .I use embroidery thread almost exclusively these days for both wrapping guides & dec. wraps & Iv'e yet to encounter a problem with them

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 12, 2015 01:22PM

thanks for the input on MFG. of thread that is what I needed

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 14, 2015 08:45AM

All brands of polyester embroidery thread are lubricated. How do I know? I called each manufacturer I could find and asked them. I would have to say that reports stating otherwise are erroneous.

I, like many of a growing number of builders, am switching to using the poly embroidery thread with color preserver for decorative work (for the vast selection of colors), but then continue to wrap the guides with traditional rodbuilding thread without color preserver (for better epoxy penetration and durability).

For me, this is the best of both worlds.

Among brands available today, I find that the properties and quality of Madeira and the new Fuji threads best match how I use them. They provide predictable consistent quality results for me.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: September 14, 2015 10:46AM

Mettler poly sheen multi 100% polyester with no CP. I have used several different colors of this variegated thread without CP and have never seen any issues. I would be very surprised if it were lubricated.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steven Storey (---.as13285.net)
Date: September 14, 2015 04:55PM

(I, like many of a growing number of builders, am switching to using the poly embroidery thread with color preserver for decorative work (for the vast selection of colors), but then continue to wrap the guides with traditional rodbuilding thread without color preserver (for better epoxy penetration and durability).

Hi John, Quick question if I may.?

This po;y emb thread, is it the same dia as the normal rod building threads.?

Cheers,

S.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 15, 2015 08:52AM

Steven,

The size 40 poly thread is just a tiny bit smaller than size A. This is what most people use. I know that a few of the people doing weaves are using size 60 also. I personally haven't worked with size 60.

Posted by: Steven Storey (---.as13285.net)
Date: September 16, 2015 02:44PM

Thanks John, I do plenty of fly tying & I know what size 8-0, 6-0 is, but other sizes that thread comes in is chinese to me.

I;ve been looking at some thread that comes in the size 120/40, how would this fair compared to the sizes 8-0, 6-0.

Example; 120/40 is the same size as 6/0.

Cheers,

S.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster